Proxmox / Opnsense power savings possible?

Muffel

May 22, 2024
Hi,
I have Proxmox 8.2 running on an Asus Prime H770 Plus D4/i3-12100 machine, and installed Opnsense as VM on it, with NIC PCIE pass through (Supermicro AOC-SG-I2 Dual Port GbE). Proxmox is steered using the on board Realtek NIC. I was able to resolve the issue with the current kernel and the RT driver, which caused the hw package to stay on C3 all the time.

Without any VM running, powertop shows C8 on the hw package and C7 / C10 for the rest, resulting in 8W power consumption:
2024-05-24 18 35 47.png

As soon as I launch Opnsense, the hw package never drops below C3 and power consumption goes up to 16-18W:
2024-05-24 18 35 46.png

Are there any settings/system tunings I can try to enable C8 again for the NIC? Already tested wirtual drivers and leaving the hardware part to Proxmox, but there was no change in the power consumption or Cx usage.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!