ProxMox on RISC-V Questions

Trex

May 7, 2019
Has anyone successfully compiled ProxMox to run on RISC-V?
Are there any plans to port ProxMox to RISC-V?
If not, what might be an appropriate bounty to incentivize this work?

Reactions: Tmanok
Gotta love new hardware options! I'd still rather see the current exceptional proliferation of features being released on a select few architectures rather than fewer features with a wider selection of architectures. One day ARM and RISC V will get there, as long as there are occasional feasibility tests to probe into and prepare for a possible explosion of available hardware I don't currently see the need to expand into any new architectures yet.

FWIW, the KVM support for RISC-V has be lined up for inclusion in the Linux Kernel, but as the respective ISA specification is only being ratified at the end of year and currently no HW exists that provides (draft) support yet.

I hope that SiFive and other companies in the space continue to bring on such steady and good development progress, because if we may see some performant and actually capable and (more) open HW options in only a few years (famous last words).

Until then, I fully agree with:
I don't currently see the need to expand into any new architectures yet.

Oh yeah hey I was just reading about that:
In August 2019, IBM announced it would be open-sourcing the Power ISA.[1] As part of the move, it was also announced that administration of the OpenPOWER Foundation will now be handled by the Linux Foundation.
And Power10 came out this year. 30 cores, 120MB L3 still, 4GHz still, so I'm not sure what to expect from the performance, compared to the Power9 of 2017 but it is half the die size (7nm vs 14nm).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_POWER_microprocessors

Oh yeah hey I was just reading about that:

And Power10 came out this year. 30 cores, 120MB L3 still, 4GHz still, so I'm not sure what to expect from the performance, compared to the Power9 of 2017 but it is half the die size (7nm vs 14nm).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_POWER_microprocessors

Yeh it's pretty awesome. The other thing happening is the power-pc notebook. Very cool stuff, I think they are up to prototype stage last I checked.

I mean half the die size represents so much more than space saving... ppl never think about this for edge tech, but somewhere it means something to someone to put that kind of resource into the ISA and that is super exciting.

IBM compares Power10 against Power9: +20% single thread improvement, +30% per core improvement, and an overall 3x performance per watt against the previous 14nm processor. Also bundled is a new AI compute layer supporting four 512-bit matrix engines and eight 128-bit SIMD engines per core, providing 20x or more INT8 performance per socket.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1693...080-for-frictionless-hybrid-cloud-experiences

"20% single thread improvement, +30% per core improvement"
Hah I'd like to see Intel do that. Supporting PCIe Gen 5, seems a bit ahead of the curve compared to our current selection of CPUs. The next criteria will be: Is it prolific? Is it being adopted? Can Quanta or Gooxi make servers with it reliably? (We all know HP and Dell probably won't change their primary lineups, hell they're both multiple AMD EPYC generations behind!).

If anyone has any unique foresight on when these types of CPUs might become more available or common-place in the enterprise, that would be excellent. @MedicineMan thanks for sharing the notebook, I'll take a look now.

Last edited:
Reactions: medicineman25
Looks definitively interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm glad that they went for the Hypervisor extension even if it's still a draft, well ratified draft.

Hopefully we get also some sensible motherboard, I mean the one PCIe x16 and M.2 slot of the HiFive Unmatched were better than most such non-x86 boards, but not too useful for more advanced usage.

@dietmar, it is available now :) Can be a really nice start of 2024!

Maybe the Proxmox team/company can order some of these complete RISC V systems running Debian out of the box. With their spec looking really nice for a Proxmox VE system.

They ship on Jan 5th, guess arrive a week or max 2 later in Austria.

If all the components are already laying around, just get the main board for $1499 and plug in all the peripherals you like.

https://www.crowdsupply.com/milk-v/milk-v-pioneer

IMG_1704.jpeg

Last edited:
@dietmar Would love to see promox for RISC-V as well, some more powerful boards are coming out this year (like the Milk-V Pioneer with 64 cores, or the Milk-V Oasis with 16 cores) and it would be lovely to mess around with RISC-V development on more native hardware through LXC / KVM

Debian and Ubuntu have supported it for a few years now, it's definitely getting a lot more mature and I think now might be the time to start looking into it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!