Proxmox on Dell R520

Wasca

Renowned Member
Aug 14, 2012
Brisbane
Hi All

I'm new to proxmox and I'm considering buying a Dell R520 with a Broadcom 5719 Quad Port Network Card and a PERC H710 Raid Card.

Is there anywhere I can go to find out if proxmox will run with this hardware?

Regards

Wasca

since the kernel is based up on the openvz kernel, which is based on rhel6, it should work fine if rhel6 supports the 520.

i had a PE 720 for testing, and rhel recognized the bcm chips with its latest kernel.

How did you get on with this? We recently had a bunch of problems installing the Proxmox ISO on an R520. In the end we had to install Debian Squeeze and then Proxmox on top (not ideal but it worked).

I have, however, since the install, noted some odd behaviour using VIRTIO drivers on my Ubuntu VM's. The samba fileserver VM I know works, as I have it installed on various other R510/Proxmox setups, appeared to be getting very slow transfer speeds, although running an iperf test showed it as being ok. Any SAMBA/CIFS transfers we were getting ~1.2MB/sec. After many hours of barking up the wrong tree... i.e. thinking it was cables/duplex/switch/ports I decided to try the e1000 drivers on my VM and boom! everything back to normal, getting normal transfer speeds for a gigabit network connection.

Anyone else run into this problem with an R520?

I believe that there are different models of R520 out there with different MOBO's and of course there are many different Dell RAID cards, we had the H710. I will check on the NIC models on our new R520, but the R520 we have that works fine uses the
Broadcom 5720's.

Regards,
Chris.

Wasca, et al,

Though not exact, we have one Dell R710 with the Quad port Broadcom and a PERC 6/I controller. Proxmox performs great!
It is _very likely_ that Proxmox will run on the R520 hardware.

Tip: Your configuration must be RAID 10 if you want to avoid disk performance issues, and as chrisalavoine said, if you have any VM network issues give e1000 a try!

How did you get on with this? We recently had a bunch of problems installing the Proxmox ISO on an R520. In the end we had to install Debian Squeeze and then Proxmox on top (not ideal but it worked).

I have, however, since the install, noted some odd behaviour using VIRTIO drivers on my Ubuntu VM's. The samba fileserver VM I know works, as I have it installed on various other R510/Proxmox setups, appeared to be getting very slow transfer speeds, although running an iperf test showed it as being ok. Any SAMBA/CIFS transfers we were getting ~1.2MB/sec. After many hours of barking up the wrong tree... i.e. thinking it was cables/duplex/switch/ports I decided to try the e1000 drivers on my VM and boom! everything back to normal, getting normal transfer speeds for a gigabit network connection.

Anyone else run into this problem with an R520?

I believe that there are different models of R520 out there with different MOBO's and of course there are many different Dell RAID cards, we had the H710. I will check on the NIC models on our new R520, but the R520 we have that works fine uses the
Broadcom 5720's.

Chris,
Your situation sounds a lot like what I just experienced, outlined here: http://savagesysadmin.com/ssa-knowledgebase/detail/proxmox-to-sd-card-on-dell-poweredge-r710

I installed to a SD card but it wouldn't recognize the LVM partition. Just had to add "rootdelay=10" to GRUB menu so LVM had time to be recognized.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!