Proxmox on a raid 1 mirrorinlg?

Joseph Chrzempiec

Jun 9, 2016
hello i have a dell server that has a paid of 1TB raid 1 mirroring drives. When i go to install proxmox there is no option to install proxmox on the raid volume. It only lets me select one or the other drive and deleted my raid. How can i install proxmox on my raid drives?

Joseph

Sounds like fake raid - a software based solution which needs support from the os.

My recommendation: forget it. Use ZFS and create a mirror during the installaton of Proxmox.

Just my 2 €¢

Sounds like fake raid - a software based solution which needs support from the os.

My recommendation: forget it. Use ZFS and create a mirror during the installaton of Proxmox.

Just my 2 €¢

The raid I’m using is not fake it’s hardware raid. Comes from Dell when you are pressing ctrl and I it takes you into a raid setup. I also figure out how to do the zfs in proxmox for the os setup.

It took me a while I didn’t even know if I was doing it right because I’m not a Linux person or a programmer. But I’m learning.
That’s my two cents there lol

Well..., if it is a "real" Raid Controller the the real drives can not be seen by the OS. At least in my understanding. Usually one can slice the disks in pieces and combine independent Raid1/5/6 logical drives to be presented to the OS. Only those virtual drives are known by the OS. It would be really dangerous if the OS could write to the underlying real drives.

Again: just my personal understanding. Forget it if your controller works/looks/feels different.

And have fun, Proxmox and ZFS is great :)

Thank you. I’m installing now. I had a older proxmox that die on me a hard drive but never had anything serious on it. Was mostly for testing stuff. Now I need to do some other work I don’t need to fail. That other proxmox been running 24/7 for 4 years with no issue. So I do love proxmox.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!