Proxmox on a desktop

Skymon

Mar 14, 2023
Good morning Proxmox community

I have built a new PC with the intention of it becoiming my new server and gaming machine. However I am starting to question whether it is actually feesable.

1. Initially I was going to have Promox as the main OS with TrueNAS VM, Linux VM for media server, Home assistant VM and a windows VM for gaming on.
I was hoping to use the Windows VM directly on the machine plugged into a monitor (Not remotely) --- Is this actually possible or if it is, is it worth it?

ROG Maximus Z790 Apex
TUF 4090
I9 13000K
64GB DDR5 RAM

I am now thinking that I may have to keep the windows setup separate from the 'server' setup.

Thanks in advance
Simon

I'm pretty sure it should be possible, however I'm not sure if it is a good idea. Since you will be running TrueNAS, Home Assistant and a media server, I assume that you plan to keep the system running 24/7. With a 4090 and a 13900K you are probably looking at >100W idle power consumption, so keep energy costs in mind (100W * 24h * 365 / 1000 = ~880kWh per year, at 0,3€ per kWh that's 260€ per year just for the IDLE power consumption of that system)

Better get a small, power efficient system for your VMs, and use the current system just for on-demand usage.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!