Proxmox not detecting RAID on HPE

icd

Sep 19, 2019
Hello,

Hardware configuration:
  • Proliant DL360 Gen10 server
  • 4 x 1TB HDD
  • with HPE Smart Array S100i SR Gen10 I've configured RAID 1+0
Trying to install Proxmox 6.0 but when prompting for installation location(Target Harddisk) I don't see the configured RAID instead I see each of my 4 HDDs [ /dev/sda(b,c,d) ]

Why so? Can that be fixed?

This is rather odd - I would guess that there is a wrong setting in the RAID-controller configuration - check the controller settings(usually accessible from the BIOS)

I've configured the RAID from embedded HPE tool

so from BIOS i've setup SATA configuration mode to Smart Array SW RAID support (another option was SATA AHCI support)
then I've created my RAID10

Maybe it's related to controller itself, because Smart Array S100i SR is a software controller not a hardware one

Maybe it's related to controller itself, because Smart Array S100i SR is a software controller not a hardware one

Yes, software raid (fake raid) often have only windows driver support and do not work in Linux.
If you still want to have a software raid, you can set the controller type to AHCI and install with ZFS in RAID1 mode.

Personally I'd run the disks pass through as they are, and do what Bill suggested and just ZFS em.

Thank you, but there are a lot of debates on internet regarding zfs , so I was trying to avoid it

suppose that with hardware RAID it will work?

Thank you, but there are a lot of debates on internet regarding zfs , so I was trying to avoid it

On the internet are lots of debates about almost everything :p
Any personal experience with ZFS?

suppose that with hardware RAID it will work?

Yes, sure. Just plug in the P4x0-based controller that normally powers all HPE DL's I've ever seen. You can also plug in any other "real" raid controller.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!