Proxmox not booting up anymore (zfs error)

Mar 25, 2019
The Netherlands
Hi Guys,

I've been working on our internal system and have messed things up quite bad.
I accidentally added the 'buster' repository to my stretch installation and then updated all packages.

When rebooting an error comes up: zpool: symbol lookup error: /lib/libzfs.so.2: undefined symbol: efi_rescan
And the system goes into busybox right after.

I've booted from a livecd (ubuntu 16.04) and mounted everything and did a chroot.
Then tried to run apt-get update, upgrade and dist-upgrade but without succes since it keeps trying (and failing) to install a kernel.

Setting up pve-kernel-4.15.18-12-pve (4.15.18-36) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 4.15.18-12-pve /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.18-12-pve
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 4.15.18-12-pve /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.18-12-pve
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.15.18-12-pve
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pve-auto-removal 4.15.18-12-pve /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.18-12-pve
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-pve-efiboot 4.15.18-12-pve /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.18-12-pve
Re-executing '/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-pve-efiboot' in new private mount namespace..
No /etc/kernel/pve-efiboot-uuids found, skipping ESP sync.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 4.15.18-12-pve /boot/vmlinuz-4.15.18-12-pve
zpool: symbol lookup error: /lib/libzfs.so.2: undefined symbol: efi_rescan
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of `rpool/ROOT/pve-1'.
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub exited with return code 1
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/pve-kernel-4.15.18-12-pve.postinst line 19.
dpkg: error processing package pve-kernel-4.15.18-12-pve (--configure):

Anyone has an idea?
Thanks for your time.

I've decided to do a complete re-install as soon as the zfs snapshots are done copying to an external drive.
Nothing seems to be working correctly anymore and I don't want to waste your time on this since it's not a productional server.

I've been looking through the forums to see how to recover a vm from an zfs snapshot but cannot find anything.
Could you please inform me on the process of recovering with an zfs snapshot? I've used the send/receive command to process them.

I've made a snapshop of each VM disk (example VM-100-disk-0) and got these on a external zfs disk.
Got the VM config files as well.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!