Proxmox not booting anymore - newbie needs help

markustmaier

Sep 2, 2024
Hi there,

I created a new VM with windows 11 to play around with his. Everything worked fine until the night. I think after doing the nightly backups my proxmox crashed because of full SSD or partion.

At booting I get the error
"Check of pool pve/data failed (status:1). Manual repair required!
/dev/mapper/pve-root: UNEXPECTED INCOSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
fsck exited with status code 4
The root filesystem on /dev/mapper/pve-root requires a manual fsck

Running fsck shows "unable to set superblock flags on /dev/mapper/pve-root"

Can someone please help me to get my installation runnning again? I'm an newbie and tried some things but they all not worked.

Thank you very much!

If you can access a command line you could try removing the backup files?

If you cannot boot into a terminal or command line, you could try mounting the drive (assuming its a single drive and not a RAID) into another PC and then removing some files manually?

I can access the command line and I have also a live ubuntu where I can see all backup files. But this drive or partition has free space of 5 GB.

How can I check free space of /dev/mapper/pve-root?

Any other suggestion to fix the error? Its a single drive, no raid.

Thank you.

You could try running fsck to repair the file system in single user mode, but be aware that you may need to rely on restoring VMs/LXCs from backups as this may not work or you may have lost data:
  • Restart the system and during the boot process, access the GRUB menu.
  • Select the entry for your current kernel but do not press Enter.
  • Press e to edit the boot parameters.
  • Find the line that starts with linux and add single or init=/bin/bash at the end of the line to boot into single-user mode or a rescue shell.
  • Press Ctrl + X to boot.
Once you are in single-user mode or rescue shell, run the following command to check and repair the file system:
Code:
fsck /dev/mapper/pve-root
Now reboot your server and see if it starts up successfully.

Ok, thank you. I tried this.

The systems boots in shell with the errors already mentioned above (unexpected inconsistency, run fsck manually, status code 4, and so on).

fsck /dev/mapper/pve-root
Then I get error, superblock needs_recovery flag is clear, but journal has data. Run journal anyway?
-> I type "y"
fsck.ext4: unable to set superblock flags on /dev/mapper/pve-root
/dev/mapper/pve-root: ***************** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors *********************

Rebooting does no solve the issue.

Any other ideas?

Did you boot into single user mode, because if you didn't and you tried to run fsck on a mounted /dev/mapper/pve-root thi might cause more issues?

You could try booting from a LIVE CD and then running fsck on the problematic disk?

I tried both version you mentioned above with single and init. But maybe I have done it wrong? Im an absolute newbie, sorry ;)

The shell and messages looked always the same. With the added commands or without.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!