Proxmox Networking 5 IPV4

i9host

Jan 22, 2020
Hello friends,

I'm new to the world of Proxmox.

I set up a server that has 2 physical network cards (enp5s0f0 and enp5s0f1) with 5 valid IPV4.

I created 2 virtual machines (1 Windows and 1 Linux).

I would like to create 4 virtual network cards, 2 for Windows and 2 for Linux, and configure 2 IP's for each. But I'm lost with this configuration.

1 IP - Promox - x. x. x. 162
1 IP - Windows - x. x. x. 163
1 IP - Windows - x. x. x. 164
1 IP - Linux - x. x. x. 165
1 IP - Linux - x. x. x. 166

Could anyone help me?

*Proxmox v7

Hi,

It is a bad ideea to create on any system (virtual or not) many interfaces with the same netmask. Why do you need this?

Also is bad to have Proxmox IP/management in the same IP space as VMs.

Strict to your question, your desired IP must be configured inside pe VM(depending of your OS).

Good luck / Bafta !

Last edited:
The simplest way and what I would do is install a 5th VM with pfSense or OpnSense router/firewall installed. You then put all your public IP's on pfSense with NAT rules that divert the public IP (e.g 11.22.33.163) to the desired VM (e.g 192.168.6.2) - see below

This also gives you the possibility of filtering undesirable incoming traffic, running intrusion protection etc.

pfsense_prox.png

Hi,

It is a bad ideea to create on any system (virtual or not) many interfaces with the same netmask. Why do you need this?

Also is bad to have Proxmox IP/management in the same IP space as VMs.

Strict to your question, your desired IP must be configured inside pe VM(depending of your OS).

Good luck / Bafta !
Hi @guletz ,

thanks for answering.

The data center that made the IP's available and I believe I can't ask them to change this topology.

I thank

The simplest way and what I would do is install a 5th VM with pfSense or OpnSense router/firewall installed. You then put all your public IP's on pfSense with NAT rules that divert the public IP (e.g 11.22.33.163) to the desired VM (e.g 192.168.6.2) - see below

This also gives you the possibility of filtering undesirable incoming traffic, running intrusion protection etc.

View attachment 40429

Hi @bobmc ,

Thank you so much for your answer.

Will I have problems using Pfsense for example to host sites with Plesk? And sending emails?

I thank

View attachment 40429
Hi,

Adapt your suggestions according to the OP knowledge.

Pfsense is not something that OP can use, if he see it for the first time.

1. is the Proxmox connecting directly to the datacenter? if so can they set up a bond/LACP for your 2 physical interface connections into them? Any vlans?
2. You would list the Promox - x. x. x. 162 ip in /etc/network/interfaces statically, with the correct gateway address, usually directly in a Linux bridge such as vmbr0.
3. You can then have the other IP’s(*.163-*166) set up within the VM‘s (windows and Linux)

Hi @bobmc ,

Thank you so much for your answer.

Will I have problems using Pfsense for example to host sites with Plesk? And sending emails?

I thank
You should have no problem hosting a webserver or email server behind pfSense

There are a lot of you tube videos and tutorials online that should help you decide if it would be a good fit for your use case

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!