Proxmox nested within ESXI

servoronine

Mar 18, 2024
Hi All,

Firstly I will apologize for any rookie questions as I am quite new to Proxmox. I also have a bit of a complicated scenario, namely:
  • I am currently running a number of workloads/VMs under ESXI 7. Given the recent VMWare licensing change I am looking to migrate to Proxmox
  • Since I have a homelab setup, i.e. a single server running all workloads and lack of desire to purchase a second one, my plan is to migrate to a nested Proxmox instance (i.e. Proxmox running as a VM on ESXI). Once all VMs are migrated, I can then kill ESXI entirely, stand up Proxmox on bare metal and launch the VMs which are already migrated/ready.
  • My network setup is a also a bit complicated and uses VLAN and packet tagging. My ESXI has two networks, one for server VMs without any tag and another one for desktop VMs tagged with VLAN tag 15.
What I am trying to do is: run a "desktop" VM under Proxmox with packet tag 15 under ESXI network which has no packet tags. Currently the result for me is: the VM seems to request the IP address via DHCP since I can see the lease on the router, but it does not obtain it - I cannot see any IPV4 address within the VM. Naturally it cannot connect to anything. The proxmox itself connects without any issues. Could a scenario like this be even theoretically possible? Or would I need for example a proxmox instance running under ESXI network which is already tagged with VLAN 15 tag?

Thanks in advance for your help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!