Proxmox monitoring / alerting question

tlex

Mar 9, 2021
One of the reason why I still use TrueNas to manage my disks with a passthrough in Proxmox is because if there is a disk failure or anything, I can easily get an alert by email.
I was wondering if there is any alternative directly in Proxmox in order to customize or at least define what kind of event / alert could trigger an email directly from Proxmox ? Or how do you guys deal with it ? Basically what I'm looking for is a bit like the "Alerts" in Esx...

There are many ways to get a job done, but if my main goal was monitoring/alerting I probably would not use Grafana/Influx because they are mainly targeted at gathering and analysis of lots of data. Proper monitoring tools are for example Zabbix or PRTG (and many more). But as I think you are looking for a rather simple/basic solution you could look into this one:

https://www.netdata.cloud/

I use Zabbix for that. Its running inside a VM with 3GB RAM, 2 vcores and is writing about 70GB per day to the disk to monitor about 30 VMs/hosts. There are alot of pugins and you can even use it to monitor your TrueNAS servers using SNMP. A little bit annoying is that you can't monitor the SMART data of the TrueNAS hosts disks because TrueNAS is a appliance and you aren't allow to install stuff. So the zabbix agent can't be installed to pull data using smartctl directly and SNMP isn't reporting SMART data. I've read about some people trying to run the zabbix agent inside a jail but they didn't got it running for SMART because the jail had no access to the hosts drives.

Last edited:
IMHO monitoring and alerting is not the job of a virtualization system like Proxmox.

In an ideal world you would not do that no. But most of us Homelabbers have limited resources so you have to be pragmatic. If you have a minimalistic setup (1 host, a couple of guest) using a basic monitoring on/for the host itself could be the solution.

I use Zabbix for that.

Yeah, Zabbix is great. I started with it a while ago but it has quite a steap learning curve (my opinion) and I haven't had the time to set it up properly. Although for a simple basic monitoring it wouldn't be my first choice.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!