proxmox mail gateway for smtp pop bruteforce attack

gogi100

Apr 2, 2021
I have the mdaemon mailserver on windows 2012. i have problems with the smtp bruteforce attacks. i configured the server that block ip addreses that authanticate failed 3 times. but those attacks are very coomon and my server with performance is very bad. your solution can resolve my problem.

Hi,

Actually, expose an old Windows directly to internet, is a high risk. What is the number of accounts have you in your server?
Have you considered to use a online mailserver (like hosting provider) that handles the email and does the first job of stop bruteforce attacks, spam and some more features?

Please note that the Proxmox Mail Gateway is Linux-native and different in configuration that Windodws-MDaemon, but the basic concepts are the same.

The number of accounts is 400. I dont consider using online a mail server.the first job of mail gateway would been stopping bruteforce attacks and spam

I guess , this won‘t help you much as the PGM act more like sender/receiver between your real mailserver and the world. For Pop or smtp services for your users accessing it from the Internet you will still have to keep your mail server exposed to the internet like now or think about something like VPN Tunnel for your users..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!