Proxmox Machine Backup Path into Proxmox Backup Server Directory

ijajahmed

Sep 5, 2023
Hello All Expert,

I have integrated PBS into my Proxmox and scheduled backup where I have shown PBS datastore of my machine backup. Backup taken done and when I am trying to find that taken backup file into my Proxmox Backup Server directory through winscp then not able to find. After that I found that machine backup into proxmox self /var/lib/vz directory.

My question is why this backup stored in proxmox instead of proxmox backup server?

Thanks in advance.

You use the wrong storage in your backup job. just edit your backup job to use the pbs and backups will go to the pbs.
Hello Sir, Thanks for your reply. I have configured the backup job to pbs earlier but still the backup file I found in proxmox host not in pbs.

1699786053350.png
Here I have found the backup in proxmox under the pathe vm/105/ but the file size is 324 KB. Tha actual size is 42 GB. When I am taking backup manually into my proxmox then it's showing 42 GB. Will you please clarify the main difference between this backup size?

Your 42 GB image is cut into 4 MB chunks. Those chunks are placed under the .chunks path of your datastore (like /mnt/datastore/mydatastore/.chunks). To be able to restore those chunks into your original 42 GB image, you need an index of all the chunks - and that's your drive-ide0.img.fidx (fidx stands for fixed index).

Hope this helps,
Marco

Reactions: _gabriel

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!