Proxmox: Low Fsync Performance / SAS2308 / Better use ZFS?

evlute

Oct 5, 2015
Hallo,

we are having very low FSYNCS/SECOND Values:

CPU BOGOMIPS: 100578.12
REGEX/SECOND: 1277810
HD SIZE: 68.78 GB (/dev/dm-0)
BUFFERED READS: 509.31 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 0.12 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND: 99.37
DNS EXT: 52.40 ms
DNS INT: 75.71 ms ()

Controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2308
Given: Raid 10: 4x - 1TB Harddisk (storage)
Given: Raid 1 : 2x - Samsung 850 Pro SSD's (512 GB)

After reading a lot i think it is because the LSI Logic only supports write through. My next plan is to try ZFS which needs direct hard disk access. In the Proxmox wiki there is a hint: to use LSI Controller in flashed in IT Mode. Our LSI works in IR Mode. Should still work for ZFS right?

Which ZFS Configuration made sense? Our Server has 64 GB Ram - so it would be okay to reserve 8 GB / TB.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Evlute

Hallo,

we are having very low FSYNCS/SECOND Values:

CPU BOGOMIPS: 100578.12
REGEX/SECOND: 1277810
HD SIZE: 68.78 GB (/dev/dm-0)
BUFFERED READS: 509.31 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 0.12 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND: 99.37
DNS EXT: 52.40 ms
DNS INT: 75.71 ms ()

Controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2308
Given: Raid 10: 4x - 1TB Harddisk (storage)
Given: Raid 1 : 2x - Samsung 850 Pro SSD's (512 GB)

After reading a lot i think it is because the LSI Logic only supports write through. My next plan is to try ZFS which needs direct hard disk access. In the Proxmox wiki there is a hint: to use LSI Controller in flashed in IT Mode. Our LSI works in IR Mode. Should still work for ZFS right?

Which ZFS Configuration made sense? Our Server has 64 GB Ram - so it would be okay to reserve 8 GB / TB.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Evlute

Hi ZFS will not help you. You should use a Raid-Controller with writeback-cache and everything is fine with the fsyncs.

IMPORTANT: Do not use zfs on top of hardware controller which has it's own cache management. Zfs needs to directly communicate with disks, an HBA adapter is the way to go (or something like LSI controller flashed in 'IT' mode)

I don't think soo macday, because the our requirements seems to be fine for zfs.

IMPORTANT: Do not use zfs on top of hardware controller which has it's own cache management. Zfs needs to directly communicate with disks, an HBA adapter is the way to go (or something like LSI controller flashed in 'IT' mode)

I don't think soo macday, because the our requirements seems to be fine for zfs.

believe me...last week i did my 25th proxmox installation in production...and i testet zfs a lot...always gone back to hardware raid or san on lvm

okay, which raid controller do you prefer? it should be fast, not to expensive and should give me good overall performance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!