Proxmox locking up

David_AVD

Oct 10, 2017
I have a Proxmox setup and am having an issue with it locking up every so often. Sometimes is can be weeks, other times just a few days. The GUI and local terminal (still displaying the login screen) become unresponsive and any containers or VMs stop working. A hard reset is the only way to get it going again.

Some time ago when it locked up, the terminal screen was full of lines "NMI watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPUx stuck for 22s!" but these days it just displays the login text.

I do keep Proxmox and the VMs updated on a fairly regular basis. The current Proxmox version is 5.4-5

Keep in mind that I have limited knowledge of VMs and a "bit more than basic" understanding of Linux. What logs should I be checking and what info is required to help me work out what is going wrong?

Some hardware info if it helps:
  • AMD AM4 Ryzen 7 1700 Eight Core 3.0GHz 65W CPU
  • ASUS AM4 ATX Prime X370-PRO Motherboard
  • DDR4 32GB (2x 16GB) Corsair 2666MHz Vengeance LPX Black RAM
  • (2x) 4TB Seagate 3.5" 6900PRM SATA IronWolf NAS HDD ST4000VN008
  • ASUS GT710 1GB PCIe Video Card 710-1-SL-BRK
  • StarTech 4 Port PCIe 2.0 SATA III RAID Controller Card
  • ASUS 24x DRW-24D5MT DVD Writer
  • TP-Link TG-3488 PCIe Gigabit LAN Card

Are you running Proxmox on ZFS?

I had issues with this where when I did large writes (such as running a backup) it would hang and require a hard reboot. When I removed the swap (didn't need it anyway, it was barely used), the hanging went away.

As a new user I can't post links but Google for
Code:
HOWTO use a zvol as a swap device
to find the wiki that has a section and link to a bug related to this.

I'm not sure what logs to look at and what to look for in them to try and track down this issue. Any clues please?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!