Proxmox is running stable on a Asustor AS6604T

Rex

Oct 22, 2022
For those who like to know >

Proxmox is running stable on a Asustor AS6604T with 8 GB, while beating the thing up for 10 days. I pull all my LAN traffic through the thing via pfSense. Still no glitches or pains in the rear. It just works and keeps working!

Thank you, Proxmox for this stable product. Your coders must be straight from heaven!

Greetings,

Rex.

Attachments

• 2023-03-28 13_29_03-.png
    2023-03-28 13_29_03-.png
    464.9 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: Neobin and Dunuin

Proxmox is running stable on a Asustor AS6604T with 8 GB, while beating the thing up for 10 days. I pull all my LAN traffic through the thing via pfSense. Still no glitches or pains in the rear. It just works and keeps working!

Thank you, Proxmox for this stable product. Your coders must be straight from heaven!

Greetings,

Rex.

This is really nice, but the real question is: Can it run Crysis? ;) :cool:

Well...
This is really nice, but the real question is: Can it run Crysis? ;) :cool:
... look at it this way. Before I had 2 GEN 5 Proliants running. And it was faster indeed. Now everything is running in this Asus device. The thing cost me €600, but it pays back before the end of the year with the energy prizes of today. I'm waiting right now for DHL. They should bring me another 8GB RAM. Should make it complete so I can give the VM's some air to breath and the file-server some extra cache. So far, I'm very happy the way things run. From 300 Watts idle to 45 today... My sleep is way better with this knowlegde. Especially because money is not growing on trees.

Back on topic: That CPU/GPU (J4125/600) combo should run Crysis, GTA5 etc. However, you must like the about 8 FPS the thing will produce ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Neobin
I really did not mean to downplay it! I like such projects. :)
Sorry, if that came across wrong.

I really did not mean to downplay it! I like such projects. :)
Sorry, if that came across wrong.

Hey Neobin!

It didn't see it that way at all. No worries. Maybe my story brings others to do the same. It really saves a lot. And I don't really notice it, if it comes to speed in daily (1GB network) use. It's the home-solution for many, in my humble opinion. Especially if you need to save € of $ or whatever, this action counts a lot!

So, thanks for your reply and have a nice day. :)

BTW and off-topic: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR4 (CMSX8GX4M1A2400C16) is not compatible with my AS6604T :eek: I've waited for nothing. The thing doesn't even boot.

Greetings,

Rex.

How did you solve the fan control issue? I tried a Proxmox install a few months ago but the cpu temps were going crazy.

What is hot? If the thing is about 70 degrees when data is pulled, that's no problem. However, I did indeed used an arduino with a temperature sensor, 2 weeks ago, because I couldn't find the whole fan thing in hwinfo/lspci/lsusb and sort alike tools.

There are MANY pre-coded scripts for this. So it should be an easy job. But it did run for about 2 months without faster fan. Because I think you noticed the fan is running at a lower speed all the time. It is not stopping completely I mean...

The 'screen' is not accessable too. If you ever find out how this works, please let us know. I'll do the same.

Good luck!

Hello,I wish to use Asustor as5402t with 64 GB of memory. I have installed Proxmox 8 on it without any issues. Everything works perfectly. However, there is no fan management. I am desperately looking for a way to manage them automatically with the underlying Debian. With Asustor's ADM, they are perfectly managed, but under Debian 12 and under Proxmox 8, there is nothing. Someone has found the solution and written a detailed procedure. Interestingly, with our Dell and Fujitsu hardware, I had never worried about cooling functionality. I am surprised that the manufacturer has not provided obvious means to achieve this in the simplest way possible. I really like the Asustor hardware with the M.2 management seen as storage disks, bravo. I continue to hope to find a suitable technical solution. Thank you in advance to all those who will help me. I am willing to pay for a service to get this set up as it seems essential to solve this problem. Thank you.

Last edited:
Chatgpt 4
The sensor information shows that the fan controlled by it8625-isa-0a30 (fan1) is running at 3750 RPM. The temperatures of the processor cores (coretemp-isa-0000) are displayed and appear to be normal. This fan control script does not directly interact with the CPU's fan mentioned here (coretemp-isa-0000), but adjusts the speed of the it8625-isa-0a30 (fan1) fan. For the CPU fan, separate management at the BIOS level or through another CPU-specific tool would be necessary, as the current script does not seem to manage it directly.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Every 10,0s: sensors pve: Sat Apr 6 20:32:29 2024

it8625-isa-0a30
Adapter: ISA adapter
in0: 1.54 V (min = +1.45 V, max = +0.71 V) ALARM
in1: 1.52 V (min = +2.10 V, max = +2.41 V) ALARM
in2: 2.05 V (min = +0.46 V, max = +1.17 V) ALARM
in3: 2.02 V (min = +0.91 V, max = +0.10 V) ALARM
in4: 1.94 V (min = +2.64 V, max = +0.37 V) ALARM
in5: 1.85 V (min = +0.52 V, max = +2.50 V)
in6: 1.77 V (min = +1.52 V, max = +1.18 V) ALARM
3VSB: 3.32 V (min = +1.87 V, max = +0.68 V) ALARM
Vbat: 3.08 V
+3.3V: 3.30 V
fan1: 1220 RPM (min = 53 RPM)
fan2: 0 RPM (min = 37 RPM) ALARM
fan3: 0 RPM (min = 12 RPM) ALARM
temp1: -128.0°C (low = +124.0°C, high = +41.0°C)
temp2: -128.0°C (low = -3.0°C, high = +72.0°C)
temp3: -128.0°C (low = -4.0°C, high = +69.0°C)
intrusion0: ALARM

nvme-pci-0700
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite: +33.9°C (low = -40.1°C, high = +83.8°C)
(crit = +87.8°C)
Sensor 1: +53.9°C (low = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 2: +30.9°C (low = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

nvme-pci-0500
Composite: +28.9°C (low = -40.1°C, high = +83.8°C)
(crit = +87.8°C)
Sensor 1: +48.9°C (low = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 2: +26.9°C (low = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1: +27.8°C (crit = +119.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0: +71.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0: +63.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1: +63.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2: +63.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3: +63.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

nvme-pci-0600
Composite: +32.9°C (low = -40.1°C, high = +83.8°C)
(crit = +87.8°C)
Sensor 1: +52.9°C (low = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 2: +28.9°C (low = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

nvme-pci-0400
Composite: +31.9°C (low = -40.1°C, high = +83.8°C)
(crit = +87.8°C)
Sensor 1: +51.9°C (low = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 2: +27.9°C (low = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

Last edited:
The script is based on hddtemp

root@pve:~# tail -f ./nohup.out/root/temp_monitor.sh: line 351: let: hdd_delta=- : syntax error: operand expected (error token is "-")/root/temp_monitor.sh: line 117: hddtemp: command not found

Last edited:
echo "asustor_it87" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
echo "asustor_gpio_it87" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
reboot

Chatgpt said

Your lsmod output indicates which kernel modules are loaded in your Proxmox VE system. From this output, we can see that the asustor_it87 and asustor_gpio_it87 modules are loaded, indicating that you have successfully installed and loaded the modules you compiled for the ITE IT8625E sensor.

However, there is no obvious module that seems to be specifically intended for fan management, apart from those you added yourself (asustor_it87 and asustor_gpio_it87). The coretemp module is present, which is used for reading the temperatures of the processor cores, but it does not directly manage the fans.

In Linux systems, fan management can be performed at a more basic level by the BIOS/UEFI or can be controlled by specific hardware modules, as is the case with the modules you added. If Proxmox (or any other Linux distribution) has access to fan control interfaces via these modules, it can then adjust fan speeds based on temperature.

To check if Proxmox VE actively controls the fans:

Monitor Speed Changes: You can monitor fan speed changes in real-time (if data is available via sensors) and see if these speeds vary based on system load.

Check System Logs: System logs (dmesg or log files in /var/log/) may contain information on thermal management, including fan management.

Scripting and Management Tools: You can also use tools like fancontrol (part of the lm-sensors package) to create a custom fan management profile, although this usually requires some manual configuration.

If you observe no active fan control or if you want more granular control, you may need to resort to user-space fan management tools, as previously mentioned.

#!/bin/bash

# Target temperature in Celsius
TARGET_TEMP=45

# Maximum fan speed
MAX_SPEED=255

# Minimum fan speed
MIN_SPEED=60

# Cleanup function to reset fan speed on stop
cleanup() {
echo "Restoring fan speed..."
echo $MIN_SPEED > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon6/pwm1
exit 0
}

# Trap INT signal (Ctrl+C) to call the cleanup function
trap cleanup INT

# Infinite loop until Ctrl+C is pressed
while true; do
# Get the current temperature of the hottest core
CURRENT_TEMP=$(sensors | grep 'Core 0' | awk '{print $3}' | cut -d '+' -f 2 | cut -d '.' -f 1)

# Calculate the necessary speed
if [ $CURRENT_TEMP -gt $TARGET_TEMP ]; then
# Calculate the new PWM based on the current temperature
DELTA_TEMP=$((CURRENT_TEMP - TARGET_TEMP))
NEW_SPEED=$((MIN_SPEED + (DELTA_TEMP * (MAX_SPEED - MIN_SPEED) / (105 - TARGET_TEMP))))

# Limit the speed to the maximum allowed
if [ $NEW_SPEED -gt $MAX_SPEED ]; then
NEW_SPEED=$MAX_SPEED
fi

# Apply the new speed
echo $NEW_SPEED > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon6/pwm1
fi

# Display the current temperature of the cores
sensors | grep 'Core'

# Pause for 10 seconds before the next check
sleep 10
done

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!