Proxmox is rebooting after adding RAM

jhr

Nov 29, 2021
Hello,

my Proxmox server had 32GB RAM but it turns out that it's not enough, so I removed all RAM modules and insert a new modules, now I have 64GB RAM, but Proxmox is rebooting after couple of seconds. Memtest not found any problem with RAM. Is there some parameters that should be rewrite or I don't know ? Or I have to reinstall Proxmox ?

Thanks

Hi,

that sounds a bit weird. It should just work. Do you see any errors before it reboots? Try if the old RAM module have the same issue.

No I cannot see anything strange while it boots. Old RAM works OK.

Just to make sure: reinstalling won't help from the error you are describing.

What might help:
  • setting the memory clock speed lower
  • reseating the memory, maybe something is off there
  • boot from a usb drive/cd and produce some load there and see if it happens as well

I would load the bios/UEFI defaults to get rid of the old memory settings. (Do not forget to activate virtualization again, if it is not per default.)
Then I would first check the system stability without loading any memory profile.
If it runs stable without a memory profile loaded, you can try with loading it.

If nothing helps, please provide the exact specifications/model numbers of the mainboard, CPU and the new, as well as the old RAM and how much memory sticks you had before and now.

It turned out that all RAM modules are not OK. Maybe all series of this memory modules are bad. I bought 8 modules in total, 4 modules from one seller, 4 modules from different seller. Even memtest could not find any troubles. When I started my server from cold start, it runs OK, until the next warm restart/reboot, then it hangs and in IPMI console I finnaly found some errors.

37662,2022/09/08 06:30:02,OEM,Memory,Uncorrectable ECC @ DIMMB2 - Assertion

37663,2022/09/08 06:30:02,OEM,Memory,Uncorrectable ECC @ DIMMB2 - Assertion

37664,2022/09/08 06:30:02,OEM,Memory,Uncorrectable ECC @ DIMMB2 - Assertion

All eight RAM modules are bad, it sounds almost impossible, but it's true. Never happend to me. Proxmox is not guilty at all, I deeply sorry.

Reactions: shrdlicka

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!