[SOLVED] Proxmox ipfire/pfsense networkzones / config

mcdaniels

Feb 1, 2021
Hi,
I am just trying to figure out how to put some kind of software-firewall (pfsense/ipfire) between 2 networks.

My proxmox-host hast got 2 Nics. At the moment I am only using one of them (192.168.252.x/24) all devices -including the proxmox host- are running on this net. I set up an explicit VM, where all requests (port 443) are forwarded from my 5G router.

Now I would like to split networks via software-firewall, to have more control. The 192.168.252.x network should be considered the "RED" zone (internet-zone) where the internal devices should move to 10.0.0.x/24 and the so called "GREEN" zone. (LAN)

To archive this, I set up a second bridge vmbr1 on the second NIC (and gave the ip 10.0.0.1/24) to it.

All traffic to port 443 from the official IP should be redirected directly to 192.168.252.252 (Software-Firewall) and natted to VMs running at the Proxmox-Host using the GREEN zone

To have it in some kind of grahics - this is what I would like to do. Only thing bad about that is, that there is no real separation of the Host and the internal network = the VMs reachable from the internet, are also in the GREEN zone:

proxmox.png

The better way may be to use a ORANGE zone (=DMZ), where all VMs are attached to, but this will need a virtual Nic / Zone where the software firewall can connect to. Is this possible in Proxmox?

Just a little update: I will go with 2 physical NICS (WAN INTERFACE and LAN INTERFACE) and use a "virtual LAN bridge" with no physical NIC attached for the VMs I expose to the internet (DMZ). It seems like to be pretty the same as in VMWARE ESXI.

So the pfsense will have 3 zones.

I have a configuration like this here now:
proxmoxnet.drawio.png

Proxmox NICs
proxmoxnics.png

I only have to figure out how to disable the vmbr0 - GUI Management of the proxmox - without ruining my connection to the the proxmox host. Well afaik the host is also listening at vmbr1.

So far its working like a charm!

Last edited:
Hello, how are you there...?I did this and I have a Windows VM that works perfectly in the green zone but I add containers or Linux vms and for example I do updates and apt update fails.... However I ping Google And what I'm missing works... Can anyone help me please....

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!