[SOLVED] Proxmox IO-Error - LVM-Thin full ?

tripton

Feb 4, 2020
Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find a direct answer to my issue .

I recently started using Proxmox to run my HA VM and after a couple of weeks proxmox stopped being able to connect to my VM shortly after booting it .

I am getting io-error and after some searching I believe this is almost surely related to some issue with disk space, although my VM should have enough free space available .

Here is my HDD data :

Code:
df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev                  2.9G     0  2.9G   0% /dev
tmpfs                 580M   38M  543M   7% /run
/dev/mapper/pve-root   14G  2.9G   10G  23% /
tmpfs                 2.9G   43M  2.8G   2% /dev/shm
tmpfs                 5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs                 2.9G     0  2.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/fuse              30M   16K   30M   1% /etc/pve
tmpfs                 580M     0  580M   0% /run/user/0

root@proxmox:~# lvs
  LV            VG  Attr       LSize  Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  data          pve twi-aotzD- 27.77g             100.00 2.88
  root          pve -wi-ao---- 13.75g
  swap          pve -wi-ao----  5.00g
  vm-100-disk-0 pve Vwi-a-tz-- 53.00g data        52.40

root@proxmox:~# dmsetup ls --tree
pve-vm--100--disk--0 (253:6)
 └─pve-data-tpool (253:4)
    ├─pve-data_tdata (253:3)
    │  └─ (8:3)
    └─pve-data_tmeta (253:2)
       └─ (8:3)
pve-swap (253:0)
pve-root (253:1)
pve-data (253:5)
 └─pve-data-tpool (253:4)
    ├─pve-data_tdata (253:3)
    │  └─ (8:3)
    └─pve-data_tmeta (253:2)

root@proxmox:~# lvs
  LV            VG  Attr       LSize  Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  data          pve twi-aotzD- 27.77g             100.00 2.88
  root          pve -wi-ao---- 13.75g
  swap          pve -wi-ao----  5.00g
  vm-100-disk-0 pve Vwi-a-tz-- 53.00g data        52.40

root@proxmox:~# pvs
  PV         VG  Fmt  Attr PSize  PFree
  /dev/sda3  pve lvm2 a--  55.39g 6.87g

My LVM-Thin volume is full ,is this the reason for my io-error ?

Sorry proxmox noob here, how can I go about fixing this ? Am unable to even log to my VM as it is .

Thanks !

hi,

I am getting io-error and after some searching I believe this is almost surely related to some issue with disk space, although my VM should have enough free space available .

one thing you need to understand first is thin provisioning feature of lvmthin, which allows you to allocate more space than physically available.

in pve/data you have 27.77g available. vm-100-disk-0 has 53.00g assigned (thin-provisioned) and %52.40 percent of that is used, which adds up to 27.77g. that means data is full and can't allocate anything else for your VM (results in I/O error since it's 100% used)

this means even if you see the vm disk not 100% full, that's only because you assigned a larger amount of space than physically available.

how can I go about fixing this ? Am unable to even log to my VM as it is .
* extend your available space by adding another disk or getting a bigger one
or
* clean up some space in data (which means files in your VM)

Reactions: tripton
hi,

one thing you need to understand first is thin provisioning feature of lvmthin, which allows you to allocate more space than physically available.

in pve/data you have 27.77g available. vm-100-disk-0 has 53.00g assigned (thin-provisioned) and %52.40 percent of that is used, which adds up to 27.77g. that means data is full and can't allocate anything else for your VM (results in I/O error since it's 100% used)

this means even if you see the vm disk not 100% full, that's only because you assigned a larger amount of space than physically available.

* extend your available space by adding another disk or getting a bigger one
or
* clean up some space in data (which means files in your VM)

Hi, tyvm for the feedback @oguz !

I only extended the disk space after I started getting this error, originally I assigned 32G to my Raw disk and I am still a bit confused why I am running out of space since the VM should only be using around 13 out of 32Gb .

I have in the meantime increased my VM disk to 53G hoping that would fix the issue but from what I understand I should have resized my LVM as well ?

So in this case, would resizing my LVM volume manually to 53.00g do the trick ? It's a 64g ssd so I should have the space physically available

great!

please mark the thread [SOLVED] so others know what to expect as well

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!