ProxMox Installing Without Boot Device?

HikariNoKitsune

Mar 18, 2021
Ok I'm baffled... I'm trying, for the first time, to install ProxMox onto a SuperMicro Server...

I burned the image to a USB.
I installed ProxMox onto an SSD.
I remove the Boot Media as prompted upon completion.
It reboots, and says 'retrying in 5 seconds' over, and over, and over, and over.
I try to make it boot, nothing works.
I removed the SSD with the installed ProxMox, and then try to boot up just a generic Ubuntu Server to see if that would boot.

ProxMox starts installing by itself?
I let it finish installing onto a completely different SSD, but am incredibly confused, as this was a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT USB DEVICE AS WELL... not a chance that it was some lingering thing from re-using a USB...
I try to boot into whatever magical beast was just installed to that SSD, but it just, brings me to the original ProxMox installer screen...
I remove that drive, try yet a THIRD SSD, and this time not even a single USB Device connected... and it boots... right back... to the installer screen...

I'm sorry but, what on this green earth is happening? I have four SSDs that i've got here to just, do whatever with.. each time is a completely different drive... each USB Device was, well, a different device... How am I booting into a ProxMox installer regardless of what storage media is attached? Am I going insane???

Are you booting in UEFI or in legacy BIOS mode? If it's the latter, is the boot drive order set up correctly? What I could imagine is that if the SSD to which you installed PVE is not considered as a boot drive by the BIOS, it will fallback to the USB flash drive with the installer.

Have you tried to remove all SSDs and USB drives except the USB flash drive with the installer and one SSD to which you install PVE?

Reactions: bensode
Are you booting in UEFI or in legacy BIOS mode? If it's the latter, is the boot drive order set up correctly? What I could imagine is that if the SSD to which you installed PVE is not considered as a boot drive by the BIOS, it will fallback to the USB flash drive with the installer.

Have you tried to remove all SSDs and USB drives except the USB flash drive with the installer and one SSD to which you install PVE?
I've run into this with SuperMicro where Legacy BIOS and UEFI OS are not enabled as a boot option by default within the BIOS. i've often found that after BIOS updates they will sometimes reset these UEFI boot options again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!