Proxmox installed, but does not start.

WhiteTiger

May 16, 2020
Italy
I am installing Proxmox on NVMe with a PCIe adapter.
The installation is successful, either by installing Proxmox on one disk or on two in RAID1.
But then at boot it does not start and the server (HP DL380 G8) goes to try to boot with the network card. Obviously it is configured to start the first PCIe device with the NVMe disk.
I have made several attempts and read several posts on the net, but they are either very old or they do not offer solutions.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I am installing Proxmox on NVMe with a PCIe adapter.
The installation is successful, either by installing Proxmox on one disk or on two in RAID1.
But then at boot it does not start and the server (HP DL380 G8) goes to try to boot with the network card. Obviously it is configured to start the first PCIe device with the NVMe disk.
I have made several attempts and read several posts on the net, but they are either very old or they do not offer solutions.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Have you confirmed HP DL380 G8 can boot from PCIe nvme? Some motherboards will not allow nvme boot, I know some x10 supermicro server boards will not, even though Proxmox installs to the nvme without issue.

Have you confirmed HP DL380 G8 can boot from PCIe nvme? Some motherboards will not allow nvme boot, I know some x10 supermicro server boards will not, even though Proxmox installs to the nvme without issue.
I do not know. I try asking on an HPE Forum.
If I install Proxmox on a USB stick inserted into the internal USB connector of the motherboard, it starts without problems.

Last edited:
I also talked about it with my other colleagues.
This server is for a lab test, so even if we don't have the best configuration we still have to get it started.

My idea is to boot from an internal 32GB Patriot SD and use an internal USB stick to store over the ISOs.
At this point it is a question of doing two things:
1) Possibly better partition the SD by moving cache and logs elsewhere, perhaps on a log server.
2) Use the two NVMe PCIe disks in another way. Either in mirroring for VMs that need higher performance or for another use.

By moving cache and logs out of the SD, it should still have a longer life.
My doubt is the performances. It will certainly be when Proxmox starts, but once it has started and the VMs are elsewhere, does the SD still penalize the activities?

What do you suggest to me?
The server has 2 XEON 8 cores, 64GB RAM and 6 320GB HDDs.

Last edited:
Proxmox
This server is for a lab test, so even if we don't have the best configuration we still have to get it started.

My idea is to boot from an internal 32GB Patriot SD and use an internal USB stick to store over the ISOs.
1) Possibly better partition the SD by moving cache and logs elsewhere, perhaps on a log server.
2) Use the two NVMe PCIe disks in another way. Either in mirroring for VMs that need higher performance or for another use.

My doubt is the performances. It will certainly be when Proxmox starts, but once it has started and the VMs are elsewhere, does the SD still penalize the activities?

i don’t think the running performance of PVE would be terribly impacted, but would worry about we failure and longevity. I think running the NVME as a raid 1 mirror, zfs?, for higher performance from those VM’s that could use it would a good way to repurpose.

what’s the plans for the 6x320HDD - hardware raid, BTRFS, zfs raid?

any room for something like 1 or 2 of the smaller enterprise SSD linked below to serve as a more trustworthy boot drive? https://www.ebay.com/itm/313389036956

is this your post on Reddit or just coincidental? https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/comments/ph1q5h/proxmox_install_on_nonbootable_disks_hp_dl_380p/

If not the second post states the Gen 8 DL models MB have a mini-SATA port for the CDROM drive and that a $5 cable from amazon allows you to connect a normal SSD and use it as a valid boot target.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!