Proxmox installation with LSI RAID Controller

annieSW

Sep 14, 2021
Im trying to install proxmox on a IBM System X3400 M3 Server with 8 HDD's (not all of the same size) and i've already tryed a configuration with 3 RAID0 arrays and the installation worked fine but with some space use problems. I know that ZFS doesn't work well with RAID that´s why I put on a single 300GB SATA HDD and try to install proxmox without RAID configuration. I booted de Server through USB Installer and when it starts there's a "No Hard Disk Found" message. Whats the best way to install proxmox making use of the hole space available in this kind of Server?

Last edited:
You dont have to use ZFS. Not sure about the PVE7 installer but with PVE6 you were able to choose between ZFS and LVM-thin.
And its also possible to use the same disk (or array) for PVE and as a VM storage, so you don't need to waste a complete disk just for the 16-32GB that PVE needs. But there are still reasons why you might want to use a dedicated drive for your PVE.

LVM-thin should work fine with hardware raid. So you could setup some HW raid arrays and install PVE with LVM-thin ontop of it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!