Proxmox Installation help - No Network Interface found (Z490/10th Gen Intel)

jaykavathe

Feb 25, 2021
Installing Proxmox for first time on a fresh build with MSI Gaming Edge plus Z490 board + Intel 10th Gen 10400. I have read around that Proxmox doesnt like some Z490 board.

I cant move ahead with installation as it aborts on "No Network Interface found" error at the start.

1. Is there a work around for this? I have LAN cable plugged in and its blinking.
  2. I am ok with ordering an NIC card. Which is a good one that would work?
The NIC I have on MSI Z490 mobo is - RTL8125b

Last edited:
A nic driver is in most cases just a module.ko

Pretty sure you can add that module to the installation image (just dunno how) maybe google helps.

Compiling that nic driver should be pretty easy and straightforward, if your nic is an intel one.

But you need to know first what nic that is, then make a vm with proxmox on virtualbox on your windows pc for example, then install pve-headers, download the driver, compile it, get that module.ko and put it inside the installation image xD

How you put it into installation image, that's the only part I don't know.

But this all sounds somehow wrong, because proxmox/debian has 99% of the nics available, drivers for, especially for such mainstream handware.

Cheers

Or what is probably much easier and more straightforward, install proxmox with an usb-lan adapter or wifi stick or anything that you already have.

Download the driver from intel, install pve-headers, read the README in that linux driver package, there is a step for step guide. Compile with LRO disabled flag. (Search "LRO" in the readme, they described it perfectly and you will understand)

It's super easy to install the driver.

Never delete the downloaded driver, because you will need to compile it after every kernel update, and you won't have network xD
But that's all easy.

Cheers

Reactions: jaykavathe

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!