Proxmox Install taking up entire drive

mazer9

Oct 25, 2010
I have a large Raid 10 array (3.6tb array) that I am attempting to install Proxmox 3.4 on. Regardless of what I set the "hdsize" parameter to at install time, the pve VG consumes the remainder of the disk.

I had intended on using a small portion for Root, Swap, and Data, while allocating the unallocated space as a separate lvm partition for VM storage. I've read where this is a bug in the software.

Could someone suggest the best workaround for this? Should I resize the PVE VG in order to recover the space to create the partition?

Did you use the other possible options like maxroot, swapsize, maxvz and did they work as expected?
Maybe the minfree option would do the trick for you, did you try it?

Dirk

Did you use the other possible options like maxroot, swapsize, maxvz and did they work as expected?
Maybe the minfree option would do the trick for you, did you try it?

Dirk

I believe my settings were:

hdsize=180
maxroot=20
swapsize=20
maxvz=15
minfree=20

The max root, swap, and maxvz settings were honored, but the pve vg still took up the entire drive. fdisk could not find any available space. Tried several times with all values filled in.

You can use ZFS instead of. Then you haven't this problem. You can use Datasets after install.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!