Proxmox install on SSD or M.2 Disk?

AndyDK

Nov 11, 2017
Hi,

I've got a Thinkcentre with a 128GB SSD and 1TB M.2 NVME disk, i've planning to install ProxMox on the 128GB SSD, and install and use 1TB M.2 as storage and VM's. Is it the right way? I mean, such as homebridge and smaller containers will be installed on 128GB SSD, but Windows server(s) will be installed on the 1TB M.2 disk and use it as storage as well, is it a good idea?

Thanks!

It's the way I would do it, the host doesn't need a lot of i/o performance itself, while the vm's will benefit from as much i/o as you can give them.

Reactions: AndyDK
That’s was also my thoughts, a M.2 and lots of memory for the VM’s, and small containers as HomeBridge, HomeAssistant etc. runs on the 128GB SSD disk

Also think about how you want to partition them. If you install PVE to the SATA SSD as LVM-Thin it will by default for example create a small LV for your root filesystem and a big LVM-Thin LV for your guests. But you can only store files/folders on the small root filesystem because the big LVM-Thin is a block device so you can only use it for storing your guests virtual disks. So storing stuff like ISOs, backups, templates, ... on that LVM-Thin isn't possible.

So you might want to have a look at the paragraphs "Advanced LVM Configuration Options" and "Advanced ZFS Configuration Options": https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Installation

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!