Proxmox install on Minisforum ms-01

bpt1901

Sep 9, 2024
Hi All
First time post here, I am about to purchase the MS-01 from minisforum, intel i9-13900h and have been doing a little research, it seems from what I can tell most installs are OK on this machine with a bit of tweaking required, however I thought I would reach out to this community if anyone has successfully or unsuccessfully installed proxmox on the ms-01 and what I should expect or look out for etc before I commit to the purchase.
My hope is to use this device as my home server to run a few VMs for testing, LXCs and Truenas..

Any help & advise would be greatly appreciated
Thankyou!

Make sure you install the Intel Microcode updates. Instructions about halfway down the page here. These instructions are for PVE 7.x but they apply the same way to 8.x.

This is important because (a) the more recent microcode improves stability of VMs on Intel Big/Little architecture CPUs used in the MS-01 and (b) it will pick up the recent voltage management update for the "oxidation" bug in 13th gen CPUs (not clear whether this applies to Mobile CPUs - but also not clear that it does not!).

Also, some people have reported stability issues with the MS-01 on Proxmox if you have the 13th gen CPU and run 96GB of ram. If you have the 13th gen CPU either stick with 64GB or less or beg/plead with MinisForum for the 1.24 BIOS update (currently in Beta, only available on request IF you can convince them you really need it).

Make sure you install the Intel Microcode updates. Instructions about halfway down the page here. These instructions are for PVE 7.x but they apply the same way to 8.x.

This is important because (a) the more recent microcode improves stability of VMs on Intel Big/Little architecture CPUs used in the MS-01 and (b) it will pick up the recent voltage management update for the "oxidation" bug in 13th gen CPUs (not clear whether this applies to Mobile CPUs - but also not clear that it does not!).

Also, some people have reported stability issues with the MS-01 on Proxmox if you have the 13th gen CPU and run 96GB of ram. If you have the 13th gen CPU either stick with 64GB or less or beg/plead with MinisForum for the 1.24 BIOS update (currently in Beta, only available on request IF you can convince them you really need it).
Hi PigLover, Thank you very much for your help
Sorry for the question, I'm only new to this... but at what point in the installation process do I install the Microde updates? I currently still have windows 11 on the device, I haven't wiped it yet to run the Proxmox installer, am planning to tonight

Install the microcode update after installing Proxmox. The instructions are linked in my initial reply above.

I just installed the 1.24 beta bios (96gb Crucial RAM). Do you guys have some feedback on it already ? does it still crashes after a while ? I've manually set the RAM at 5200mhz.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!