ProxMox Implementation of ZFS o_O

i dont know about proxmox, but when i used virsh with kvm i could simply change the driver type and it worked.

I doesnt seem like proxmox lets you edit the driver in the gui, so you have to do it by hand in the config file.

make a backup beforehand

/etc/pve/qemu-server/100.conf

make sure it looks something like this if multiple disks numerate scsi0, scsi1 etc:
Code:
scsi0: SIXTBZ:vm-100-disk-0,discard=on,size=256G,ssd=1
scsi1: SIXTBZ:vm-100-disk-1,discard=on,size=256G,ssd=1
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci

also for windows you need to install virtio drivers for best performance, you can mount the iso right at install
https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/stable-virtio/virtio-win.iso

I doesnt seem like proxmox lets you edit the driver in the gui, so you have to do it by hand in the config file.

Yes it does. In the Hardware Tab

And am I correct in assuming that fstrim in Linux is the equivalent of the sdelete from sysutils that you shared?

No, the equivalent would be this (and not reading /dev/urandom as previously stated above)

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero bs=4k of=zero; sync; sync; sync; rm -f zero

Windows (IIRC 7 and above) has it's own trimming that is enabled if it's detected that the underlying storage has support for it. (Please google for that, not a PVE problem per see, but a guest problem).

Like how is anyone supposed to just know all this? :(

Welcome to the world of virtualization.

LOL Shit, of course, it doesn't, so basically I have to move that data, recreate it with virtio....

Normally, just change detach and reattach the drives. For Windows, you need to install the driver beforehand, so add a new disk with the new controller type, install drivers, remove drive. Change the device type. No reinstall or copying required.

Yes it does. In the Hardware Tab

Here is a screenshot of the proxmox edit, where can i select the driver / bus type ? There is no option..

virt-manager would allow me to select: virtio, scsi, sata, usb

1589717866770.png

No, the equivalent would be this (and not reading /dev/urandom as previously stated above)

fstrim is not the equivalent of sdelete, they are totally different.

sdelete works by allocating space and freeing it, fstrim works with trim ata commands.

Both will result in freed space but they work completely different.

trimming free space under ntfs is not supported, so trim only works for linux.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/sdelete

Last edited:
Here is a screenshot of the proxmox edit, where can i select the driver / bus type ? There is no option..

virt-manager would allow me to select: virtio, scsi, sata, usb

View attachment 17238

Each disk is attached as the type you attached it to be, in this case SCSI. The SCSI controller type is also shown on your screenshot as "SCSI Controller" and it is set to "VirtIO SCSI", which means that every disk you attach to your scsi bus is already VirtIO SCSI. You can detach a disk and attach it again and then the dialog pops up on which bus you can plug the device in.

fstrim is not the equivalent of sdelete, they are totally different.

Yes, that's what I wrote. ErgDog assumed they're equivalent and I wrote the more correct equivalent command of sdelete in linux.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!