Proxmox how to encrypt VM backup

kinetica

May 9, 2014
Dear Members,
I kindly ask if there is an easy way to encrypt Vm's backups made by Proxmox. From what I read on the forum I have to manually configure the vmdump command through a script. Since I am a user with a basic level of knoledge I would need someone to kindly guide me in such configuration.
thank you very much
David

hi,

if you use proxmox backup server [0], then you can just enable the encryption checkbox and all your backups will be encrypted.

I have to manually configure the vmdump command through a script.
or you can do this as well.

edit the /etc/vzdump.conf file and uncomment the line that says script, and then type the path of your script (f.e., /root/my_script.sh and it will be run at backup time.

[0]: https://pbs.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

hi,

if you use proxmox backup server [0], then you can just enable the encryption checkbox and all your backups will be encrypted.

Hi,

Can this checkbox be activated at any time? Or will this corrupt previously existing non-encrypted backups on the storage?

Thanks

Can this checkbox be activated at any time? Or will this corrupt previously existing non-encrypted backups on the storage?
checkbox can be activated anytime. you won't lose your previous backups..

however if you decide to deactivate it later, backups created with that key cannot be restored

hi,

Where is the encryption checkbox?
I am using Proxmox 6 and Proxmox Backup 1.1 and can't find it anywhere.

hi,

or you can do this as well.

edit the /etc/vzdump.conf file and uncomment the line that says script, and then type the path of your script (f.e., /root/my_script.sh and it will be run at backup time.

[0]: https://pbs.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
If I'm not using the proxmox backup server (just the built in backup function for proxmox) is there a tutorial on how to encrypt backups?

checkbox can be activated anytime. you won't lose your previous backups..

however if you decide to deactivate it later, backups created with that key cannot be restored
How do I check this for existing storage? There is no "Encryption" tab...

Thanks!

How do I check this for existing storage? There is no "Encryption" tab...

Thanks!
Open the "Backups" tab of your PBS storage in PVE. There is an "Encryption" Column in the table which will show if that specific backup snapshot is using encryption or not:
1700858761471.png

Open the "Backups" tab of your PBS storage in PVE. There is an "Encryption" Column in the table which will show if that specific backup snapshot is using encryption or not:
View attachment 58764
Thanks but I'm afraid my question was not phrased clearly enough:

Oguz had sad that the checkbox (to activate encryption) could be checked anytime.

When I asked how to check that, I did not mean how to check whether encryption was active or not but rather how to check that checkbox (in order to activate encryption).

Thanks but I'm afraid my question was not phrased clearly enough:

Oguz had sad that the checkbox (to activate encryption) could be checked anytime.

When I asked how to check that, I did not mean how to check whether encryption was active or not but rather how to check that checkbox (in order to activate encryption).
Removing and readding the PBS storage?

There is also "pvesm set <storage> --encryption-key" but didn't tested it yet if it will work to add encryption later.

Last edited:
Removing and readding the PBS storage?

There is also "pvesm set <storage> --encryption-key" but didn't tested it yet if it will work to add encryption later.
Thanks. Will try the safe way...

Edit: Typo

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!