Proxmox Host LAN Interface

Ben McGuire

Sep 14, 2016
Hello,

We need advice on a setup that includes a LAN interface between the Proxmox Host and one VM.

We have a WHMCS Module that automatically provisions VMs and allows clients to access their VM's via a noVNC connection and this is why the public needs access to the proxmox host via the net as the WHMCS module works on port 8006. Currently the Proxmox Host is available over the WAN as our WHMCS is installed in a different datacenter. What we aim to do is move the WHMCS install on a VM and have the VM available to the public so customers can access the Proxmox Module and connect to their VMs console - BUT we want to be able to make a LAN interface from the WHMCS VM to the Proxmox Host so that for aurguements sake the WHMCS module API can be set to communicate to Proxmox Host via eg: 192.168.1.100 on port 8006

Our server is with OVH so by default they attach the Proxmox Host to a pubic IP. Also as the VMs use the Proxmox Host as the Gateway we would still need the Proxmox Host to be on a Public IP.

How would we setup as described above?
The only reason we are doing this is we want to remove public access over the WAN to the PRoxmox Host...it would be easy if we didnt have this WHMCS module. We cannot block and allow by IP as the connection from WHMCS is comming from each customers IP and not just the WHMCS IP.

Any help or advice would be appreciated,

In your case I would do the following:
* create a new bridge called vhmcs0, without adding a physical device to it
* assign the ip adress 192.168.1.100 to this bridge

* in your vhcms VM, and add a network interface ethx connected to this bridge
* configure the VM to have an IP adress 192.168.1.101 on the ethx device

since the pve-proxy is listening on all interfaces, you should also be able to reach it from the VM via calling the IP 192.168.1.100

The only reason we are doing this is we want to remove public access over the WAN to the PRoxmox Host...it would be easy if we didnt have this WHMCS module. We cannot block and allow by IP as the connection from WHMCS is comming from each customers IP and not just the WHMCS IP.

Not sure which module you are using but I ran into the same dilemma with one I have tested. In my case it turned out that only the noVNC connections came from the client's IP. Provisioning and management of the VMs did all come from the WHMCS host.

To reduce the risk I have set up a nginx reverse proxy which is configured as the Proxmox host in the WHMCS module. In nginx I only allow public access to the noVNC related API endpoints. Only the WHMCS IP has access to the complete API.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!