Proxmox high RAM usage

Talha

Jan 13, 2020
RAM usage seems to be as much RAM allocated to VM on main server. Anyone know why?

1658669552703.png
1658669590269.png

And what config you gave your VM? Especially when using PCI Passthrough it will always consume the max RAM you defined for that VM, no matter how much RAM the guest OS actually needs.

Last edited:
Please provide the config (qm config VMID) of the VM in question.

I wanted to just link my previous post about this, but I could not find it. (BTW: thank you for using the search, I found a ton of good threads about this) ...

* space can be pre-allocated, so the full memory is shown as used, even if the VM sees it differently
* free space inside of a VM is only shown as free (for Windows OS) and that does not mean anything for the guest.
* virtual devices need ram
* the processes around these devices need ram
* the processes around each virtual cpu need ram
* the processes around each VM in general need ram
* disk cache (anything else than none) will need ram (this can be big)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!