Proxmox GUI not working

johnha

Jan 1, 2018
I had what I thought was a hard drive failure, so I pulled the drive and put it into a different host, but the drive is fine. The Host is wonky though.

I only have remote access through a not-so-nice lantronix spider KVM.

But I can get to the console and log in as root.

pct list shows the containers are actually running, but there's no GUI access. I suspect it's a network issue, but I don't know how to troubleshoot it.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

Good that the guest still run, that the web-interface is unavailable can have different reasons, so some basic checks would be good to now what the state of the system is, e.g., you could at leas check the following and come back here with results.

Bash:
# list failed services
systemctl list-units --failed

# check internet access
ping 8.8.8.8

# check the journal for some errors on the current boot
# (use SHIFT + G to scroll at the end, and check from there up regrading errors)
journalctl -b

Thank you, Thomas! I tried systemctl list-units --failed and it froze the system. Very strange. I had to reboot it with CTRL-ALT-DELETE:

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 03.47.32.jpg

The host is challenging to reboot. It often doesn't boot, and I have to hold the power button down for a shutdown. Then boot. It only boots successfully about 15% of the time.

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 03.52.58.jpg

Results of journalctl -b (sorry I don't think there is a way to get the logs out from the KVM):
https://youtu.be/VVrSHlkBxw8

Running systemctl list-units --failed again did not freeze the system. But I received the same error message:
Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 04.06.59.jpg

The result of systemctl list-unit-files:
https://youtu.be/Bnayfo6eF6g

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 03.53.50.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 03.53.50.jpg
    1,018 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Seeing quite some I/O read errors from USB device, is this using a USB pen drive or the like to boot from? The sata drives (with ZFS, FWICT) seem OK.

It seems that you got no network, as your ping test shows, that would also explain why you cannot connect to the webinterface
So the output of
Bash:
ip addr
ip route
cat /etc/network/interfaces
would be interesting.

You may want to add a network config manually or try ifdown vmbr0 and then ifup vmbr0 to get the interface up, or else use
Bash:
ip addr add <CIDR>
ip link set dev vmbr0 up
ip route add default via <GATEWAY>

<CIDR> and <GATEWAY> would need to be replaced by the respective values from the network the server is in.

Right now it has a PCIe SSD which is the boot drive. And after I removed a PCIe card (Sonnet Tempo Pro card that holds two 2.5" SSDs) last night, it only has SATA drives now (all ext4, no RAID, no ZFS or anything modern/fancy like that). And there are no thumb drives or external drives.

I have been trying to de-commission this hardware for some time now, and I guess this issue has pushed me to do it ASAP :p on the day before I leave for holiday! hahaha -- murphy's law

p.s. I also tried ip addr add 192.168.1.150/24 but it gave the same error...

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!