[SOLVED] Proxmox Garbage Collection issue

Yoann-f

Jul 23, 2024
1721720081393.png

Hello,

I have an issue with this PBS GC, It won't run the task because of "permission denied on /root".
I tryed to change it :
chown backup:backup /root (In my opinion, changing the rights of the root folder are weird but anyway this is a test server)...
But when i fix one right there is an other that is wrong...
/var/log/proxmox-backup
/sys/kernel/tracing
/sys/kernel/debug
/sys/fs/pstore
/sys/fs/bpf
/etc/ssl/private
/proc/tty/driver
and finaly i can't change the right of this : /proc/1/task/1/fd
This is a fresh install, wich is up to date (3.2-7 pbs-no-suscription). So i don't know why do i need to change all those right's.
I tryed to reinstall PBS, same issue. Reboot same issue.
I'm running out of ideas.

I have an other PBS server wich have no issue with GC and when i look at the right they aren't the same.
One PBS1 work's with only root account right's.
1721721021762.png
And the other PBS2 with's backup account right's won't works.
1721720999337.png
All those right's for PBS1 and PBS2 are by default.

Configuration :
1 Raid 5 => OS and Backup on the same VD

Last edited:
View attachment 71705

Hello,

I have an issue with this PBS GC, It won't run the task because of "permission denied on /root".
I tryed to change it :
chown backup:backup /root (In my opinion, changing the rights of the root folder are weird but anyway this is a test server)...
But when i fix one right there is an other that is wrong...
/var/log/proxmox-backup
/sys/kernel/tracing
/sys/kernel/debug
/sys/fs/pstore
/sys/fs/bpf
/etc/ssl/private
/proc/tty/driver
and finaly i can't change the right of this : /proc/1/task/1/fd
This is a fresh install, wich is up to date (3.2-7 pbs-no-suscription). So i don't know why do i need to change all those right's.
I tryed to reinstall PBS, same issue. Reboot same issue.
I'm running out of ideas.

I have an other PBS server wich have no issue with GC and when i look at the right they aren't the same.
One PBS1 work's with only root account right's.
View attachment 71709
And the other PBS2 with's backup account right's won't works.
View attachment 71708
All those right's for PBS1 and PBS2 are by default.

Configuration :
1 Raid 5 => OS and Backup on the same VD
Hi,
it seems you set up the datastore with the root directory ('/') as backing path. This you should not do!

Best create a new datastore with a dedicated subfolder and sync the contents to it or manually move the current datastore.

On a side note: There is a patch on the mailing list [0] which will disallow to set the root directory as backing path in the future, to avoid such issues.
[0] https://lists.proxmox.com/pipermail/pbs-devel/2024-July/010292.html

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply.
I will create a sub folder for my datastore.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!