Proxmox FW Logs Allowing but not Logging desired Tailscale VPN Traffic

DJSaturn

May 26, 2024
Hi Folks,

Background
I am using my Proxmox homelab through Tailscale so that I can access it outside my home network. I have installed Tailscale on various nodes of my homelab so I can include them in my Tailnet as follows:
- Proxmox (7.4-17) pve admin interface ( :8006)
- VS Code Server (open source code-server) installed on an unprivileged LXC in the homelab
- Tailscale subnet router installed on an ubuntu VM (so I can reach the above nodes from within my home network while still connected to the Tailscale VPN) -- following these docs: https://tailscale.com/kb/1019/subnets

I have a few selected devices such as my personal computer and ipad that I've also added to the tailnet so I can communicate with my homelab when I'm away from home.

Situation:
Connection and access-wise, everything "seems" to be working very well, with one baffling exception: I can't figure out how to capture (via firewall logs) ANY traffic from any of my Tailscale connected personal devices on the above homelab nodes. The logs will show all normal traffic from within my home network (192.168.1.0/24) but nothing from the Tailscale subnet (100.64.0.0/10 - referenced from https://tailscale.com/kb/1304/ip-pool).

Question:
Does anyone have suggestions on how to show/log firewall traffic coming from my Tailscale connected personal devices to my Tailscale connected homelab nodes?

Configuration Details:
Below is an image of my FW options for the VS Code server LXC node:
1716732903005.png

And then here are my firewall rules for the VS code server LXC:
1716733049983.png

Again, my firewall logs on this LXC node only logs traffic from 192.168.1.0/24, not from Tailscale - even though it passes all Tailscale traffic through to the LXC.

Thanks!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!