Proxmox Firewall Rules with pfSense VM

norsemangrey

Feb 8, 2021
I'm running a small Proxmox server at home just to virtualize my pfSense router/firewall and a Home Assistant OS. The server has a NIC for WAN, LAN and one for the PVE console. I fairly new to using PVE. Is it necessary for me to enable the firewall/add rules at any level in Proxmox? I'm thinking it might make sense to create at rule at the top level to restrict access on the PVE NIC to only GUI and SSH (even though it is "behind" the pfSense FW) while leaving the WAN, LAN ports open as they are managed by pfSense.

If you already got Home Assistent with IoT devices and a pfsense VM I would also create some additional subnets. For example a DMZ subnet for all services that are accessible from the internet and a IoT subnet so the unsecure IoT devices that you can't update/admin yourself can only access specific websites and can't access other hosts in your LAN. You can then use the pfsenses firewall to restrict access between subnets and use the PVE firewall to restrict access between guests inside the same subnet.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!