Proxmox Firewall and SCTP packets dropped by conntrack

Stg

Nov 20, 2015
Hi all,

Let me introduce you the following issue.

Context:
My environment uses Proxmox 3.4 (the issue exists also in Proxmox 4.0)
The firewall is activated on the "Datacenter" section with default configuration.
Rules are added for SSH and HTTPS/8006 for the Proxmox host.
A VM (kvm64) runs a Linux distribution without firewall on its interfaces.

An application initiates a SCTP connection to an external server but fails to connect to it.
The first SCTP packet SCTP_INIT is dropped.

Troubleshooting party:
The external server runs the following command:
Code:
withsctp nc -v -k -l 3200

The VM application is replaced by the command below:
Code:
withsctp nc -v <external_server_ip> 3200

Configuring additonal logs with Iptables on the Proxmox host, the following rule is identified as source of the failure:
Code:
-A PVEFW-HOST-OUT -m conntrack --ctstate INVALID -j DROP

Quick and dirty workaround:
The configuration line above is set by that piece of code in the file /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Firewall.pm:

Code:
   1829 sub ruleset_chain_add_conn_filters {
   1830     my ($ruleset, $chain, $accept) = <arobase>_;
   1832     ruleset_addrule($ruleset, $chain, "-m conntrack --ctstate INVALID -j DROP");
   1833     ruleset_addrule($ruleset, $chain, "-m conntrack --ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j $accept");
   1834 }

A dirty solution could be to avoid SCTP analysis by putting specifically TCP and UDP:
Code:
ruleset_addrule($ruleset, $chain, "-m conntrack -p TCP --ctstate INVALID -j DROP");
ruleset_addrule($ruleset, $chain, "-m conntrack -p UDP --ctstate INVALID -j DROP");

Next step could be to analyse conntrack source code, but if you have any comment or idea? ;)
Regards.

Sorry for digging up an old thread.

We came across this error also when trying to create GRE tunnels over Ipsec with OSPF between KVMs. Disabling or updating as stg prompted fixed our issues.

I dont feel safe messing with code, plus we have to reedit it each time it gets updated.

Can we achieve the desired rules with another way?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!