Proxmox file system format

William C

Nov 25, 2022
Hello

What is the root level file system that proxmox uses? I thought this was ext4 , and then this drive would contain qcow2 / raw files . Maybe I am misunderstanding RAW .

Basically I was using proxmox on my primary drive, and had a secondary drive that has a lvm RAW storage .

I’ve wiped the main drive now but want to access the files on secondary drive from Mac OS .ive tried with extfs

The depends on you setup on the first boot.
I use Debian with ZFS as root filesystem on a zfs mirror - raid1 in most cases.

What is the root level file system that proxmox uses?
Whichever one you picked when you installed it.

and then this drive would contain qcow2 / raw files . Maybe I am misunderstanding RAW .
qcow2 are copy on write journals, raw indicate unformatted data resembling block devices.
I’ve wiped the main drive now but want to access the files on secondary drive from Mac OS .ive tried with extfs
not sure how to assemble lvm VGs on MacOS; you can use a linux guest on parallels/vmware/UTM and map the drive to it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!