proxmox fencing dell idrac

adel87

Mar 1, 2015
Hi every one
I'm newbie in the word of proxmox
I have two server dell of proxmox
in each proxmox I have 4 vm of promox
I want to make Ha cluster between two VM

I want to know If I use idrac to fence the vm in the first server ,the others vm in the first server will be shutdown ?
Thank you

Hi every one
I'm newbie in the word of proxmox
I have two server dell of proxmox
in each proxmox I have 4 vm of promox
I want to make Ha cluster between two VM

I want to know If I use idrac to fence the vm in the first server ,the others vm in the first server will be shutdown ?
Thank you

The host gets fenced (shutdown) not the vm. So yes your host experiencing failure will be hard shutdown by the fencing device (drac) and VM's managed by the HA service will be restarted on another host.

Hi thank you
I'm new in the proxmox
Please is there any good book of proxmox?
Thank you

Hi thank you
Please I have a question about HA cluster
I have two hp serveur in each server I have 4 vm
If I set a proxmox HA : do I need a shared storage and how to match in the cluster between VM1 in the first promox and the others
Thank you

Hi thank you
Please I have a question about HA cluster
I have two hp serveur in each server I have 4 vm
If I set a proxmox HA : do I need a shared storage and how to match in the cluster between VM1 in the first promox and the others
Thank you

Yes you need shared storage. Either a SAN type set up or DRBD type distributed storage.

May I suggest you look at clustering and shared storage HA set ups in general before jumping in at the deep end?

Hi thank you
I have read the documentation but please there is not a lot of details
really I need help
Thank you

Hi thank you
I have read the documentation but please there is not a lot of details
really I need help
Thank you

There is more than enough documentation on how to create a proxmox cluster, infact its step by step. What you need to decide is what type of storage you want to use for storage of VM disks so that both nodes are able to access the same VM disks should a node fail.

You have a wide array of choices in proxmox. You could use iSCSI to present storage to both nodes from a SAN or SAN type distribution like FreeNAS or Openfiler... or you could present NFS storage to the nodes from anything than can create NFS exports, or you could configure DRBD on both nodes and create a distributed block store using their own disks... You could use GlusterFS to create a distributed storage pool, or Ceph to do something similar.

This is all unique to your deployment and you should get an understanding of the basics for any type of HA clustering in general... Quorum, shared storage, fencing etc.... These features don't just apply to proxmox. They are widely understood and required for any type of clustering... Even windows server clustering.

Go and do some research first and test these things out. There are COUNTLESS guides, walkthroughs and explanations online covering storage and clustering.... Also, if you post back in after 1 day saying you don't understand then maybe you need to slow down and think about a route of progression within IT that enables you to slowly get more experience with server technology whilst experimenting with a home lab to accelerate the learning process.

Last edited:
Hi thank you
I'm reading and I want to master proxmox
I want to know that is not officiel pdf documentation as redhat
I don't understand all detail in the web guide
Thank you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!