Proxmox failed to boot after update. Reinstalled, failed again after update

Cronus89

Nov 22, 2017
I had a node that I was updating to a minor version update in 6.x I forget which. It failed to boot, so I just used my cluster node to bring VM's back up.
So I didn't dig into the error as I had to reinstall anyways.

I've reinstalled using proxmox-ve_6.2-1.iso

All went fine, I havent done anything besides set up my 2nd zfs pool, add mellanox drivers. and then those worked fine.

I did an apt update;apt dist-upgrade like normal. Rebooted and it never came back. attached is the picture of what the error is. This is the same one from when I did an update before when it was an active cluster node.

I wasn't sure how to get a complete log since the screen cuts off the first part.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/78ud3f15r26ae4s/ApplicationFrameHost_jfQqaVi9sE.png

I just tried that. It shows my zfs raid1. However when i do exit from the initramfs prompt. it then says kernal panic, attempt to kill init, (I think?)

Gonna reboot and try again. But I'm not sure this is the same issue. As it works fine until I run the latest updates

It shows my zfs raid1.
Good, so it's still there. You can try to import it with zpool import -R / rpool (should usually be the `rpool` pool). After that a zpool list should show the pool and the machine should continue booting when you exit the initramfs busybox environment.

Once the machine is up again please check if the zfs cache file is configured for the pool with zpool get cachefile rpool

If not, set it and update the initramfs according to this post https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/u...-containers-will-not-start.56102/#post-268741

Last edited:
I still get unable to mount / it's not empty?

I renamed my rpool to rootpool. And my data drives are on rpool. (Did this cause to replicate between cluster members I couldn't specify the zpool)

And I see zpool list shows the pools. An exit cmd gives me another kernel panic

Hmm, once you are in the busybox env can you show what cat /proc/cmdline shows?

can you also show the output of zpool import and zpool list?

that cmdline check helped me fix it. I didnt rename all entries in grub.cfg when i changed the pool name.

I swear I did! But that fixed it, im back up. Thanks :)

that cmdline check helped me fix it. I didnt rename all entries in grub.cfg when i changed the pool name.

I swear I did! But that fixed it, im back up. Thanks :)
good to hear and thanks for sharing what the cause was. Would you please be so kind and mark the thread as solved? To do so, edit the first post and select the `solved` prefix in the drop down menu next to the title. Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!