Proxmox Disk Partitioning

Futki

Apr 29, 2010
Hi, ive been playin aroud with proxmox for long time and now planing to go in production. I have a Dell Poweredge r710 with five 1 TB disks. I have created a Raid 5 level, but as i was tryin i read that proxmox can't be installed in a disk with more than 2 TB, so i found a solution that i made smaller partitions with raid controller. My question is what kind of partitions to make for proxmox. All the 4 TB will be used for vm storage. Thanx in advance

Hi, ive been playin aroud with proxmox for long time and now planing to go in production. I have a Dell Poweredge r710 with five 1 TB disks. I have created a Raid 5 level, but as i was tryin i read that proxmox can't be installed in a disk with more than 2 TB, so i found a solution that i made smaller partitions with raid controller. My question is what kind of partitions to make for proxmox. All the 4 TB will be used for vm storage. Thanx in advance
Hi,
it depends on your usage. The easiest way is to install proxmox on the first lun (less 2TB) - use therefore the bootparam maxroot (e.g. maxroot=30 to get a 30GB root-partition).
After that extend the volume group pve with the second large lun and resize the logical volume data (leave 4GB free space in the volume group for snapshot/backup).
If you want to build a cluster of two machines, you can also use a part of the raid as drdb-device (redundant storage).

Udo

hi
we run a cluster of small 1U servers here - having only 2 x SAS disks as RAID-1.
We use maxroot for the root-partition, but I'd opt for another maxdata-bootparam in order to limit the /dev/mapper/pve-data size.
background-info: we'd like to mount several further partitions and use bind mounts for VEs to have eg. separate /var/log directories in order to not kill a running VE just because the log-partition gets filled 100%.
of course a gui-based way to resize the pvedata or mount further lvm-volumes would be very nice.

regards
hk

hi,
in my dell server I made a raid 5 but splited into two virtual disk. when installing the proxmox it recognises the two disk, one is 9 Gb and the other is 4 Tb. The deal is after installing i want to add the second disk as a storage LVM, and I get this error

HTML:
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was  unable to complete your request. Please contact the server administrator, root and inform them of the  time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have  caused the error.
    [6886]ERR:  24:  Error in Perl code: command '/sbin/vgs --separator :  --noheadings --units k --unbuffered --nosuffix --options  vg_name,vg_size,vg_free' failed with exit code 5

can anybody tell me more clear how to split the disks or how to add the other disk in proxmox.. thanx

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!