Proxmox default instalation

yarii

Renowned Member
Mar 24, 2014
After default instalation, after zpool create zfs1 raidz2 /dev/disk/sd{b,c,d,e,f,h}

I have:

root@vps1:/sys/block/sda/queue# cat /sys/block/sd{b,c,d,e,f,h}/queue/physical_block_size

and:

root@vps1:/sys/block/sda/queue# cat /sys/block/sd{b,c,d,e,f,h}/queue/logical_block_size

1. Is it worth to change the logical size? (performance difference)
2. How to change the logical size without/low downtime?

Regards.

I don't think you can change those values, those are the values reported by your hardware. That's how I understand it.

Yes You can change it when creating partitions see fdisk manual.
But is it really worth to do this? And why proxmox installer creates 512 partitions instead of 4Kn?

Are you sure your physical devices are 4Kn? E.g. an INTEL SSDSC2KB960G7

# smartctl --all /dev/sdb |grep "Sector Sizes"
Sector Sizes: 512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical

You can use the 'ashift=12' parameter when creating your zpool if you want to be able to add 4kn devices in the future.

Yes I used ashift when I was creating zpool.

smartctl --all /dev/sdb |grep "Sector Sizes"
Sector Sizes: 512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!