Proxmox could not be installed on large Volume

sean

Nov 11, 2010
I am having some trouble installing the latest build of proxmox. I am trying to install it on a PE2950 with a large virtual disk (10tb). I have tried setting paramaters (linux ext4 maxroot=25 swapsize=8 maxvz=400 minfree=32) at the boot prompt to install in by setting the sizes of the volumes but I keep coming across the error -

command 'chroot /target dpkg --force-confold --configure -a' failed with exit code 1 at /usr/bin/proxinstall line 172

Does anyone have any advice please?

should work without problems, just tested here by using latest stable 2.2 iso image.

I used your boot parameters, after rebooting I got this as expected:

Code:
root@proxmox:~# pvs
  PV         VG   Fmt  Attr PSize  PFree
  /dev/sda3  pve  lvm2 a--  10.00t 9.58t

root@proxmox:~# lvs
  LV   VG   Attr     LSize   Pool Origin Data%  Move Log Copy%  Convert
  data pve  -wi-ao-- 400.00g
  root pve  -wi-ao--  25.00g
  swap pve  -wi-ao--   8.00g

pls provide all details about your raid controller, maybe someone have a hint. firmware upgrade?

Thanks Tom.

I decided today to make sure all firmware is up to date. I am using a perc6i controller on a dell 2950 III. I updated the bios and perc6i firmware (
6.3.1-0003), but I am afraid still the same error.

I also created a smaller 100gb volume to test and it gives the same error, so I am wondering what else it might be, any ideas appreciated?

Just to add a note, when I installed Debian (tried that install route) I ran into problems with the non-free drivers for the network cards, I would assume the 2 problems are not related but perhaps not?

Our Proxmox VE kernel is based on RHEL and all drivers should be included. which NIC drivers do you need for the cards?

As you see the same issue with a 100 GB volume, the size of the volume seems not the issue. is this controller supported on Linux? post a link to the driver download.

Ok so it seems you may be correct, it is something possibly about the controller or something else. I changed the drive for a single 146gb sas drive and got the same error. Strange thing is Debian installed ok apart from the network card issues and could see the volume properly so must have accepted the controller?
The network cards are broadcom on board and the disk controller is a dell perc 6i. I am certain some of my other dells have the perc6i card but they may be running an earlier version of proxmox like 2 or 2.1

it *could* be a dodgy install CD - check the MD5 - i've had it a couple of times and its given random errors during the install.

I checked the MD5 and all is ok (actually I had downloaded it the second time already thinking it might be that!). I have also just tried installing 2.1 with the same error!

I am beginning to wonder if it has something to do with the Grub boot loader. It gets right to the end of the install and then fails. Also when I tried installing Debian squeeze I remember having to use the Lilo boot loader as Grub failed to install. I have checked the bios to try and find any restriction but there doesnt seem to be anything I can see, any other suggestions based on this?

Right now I have swopped out all the memory and am trying again, next Ill change the perc card. I have just installed the same cd on a 1950 with the same perc card specification and it installed without issues.
photo.jpg

Last edited:
This morning I used clonezilla from the perfectly installed 1950 created an image and restored that onto the 2950. Rebooted the 2950 and get stuck at grub prompt!

Has anyone managed to run Proxmox on a Dell PE 2950 Generation III (or I for that matter)? Please provide feedback?

I am going to run the full dell diagnostics now, but I have swopped out all memory and the perc card and hard drives. It installs windows just fine, pity thats not what I need! I suspect it will also run esxi but again its not the desired solution. I am going to try a centos install after the diagnostics and see if grub fails with centos and will report back.

Dell diagnostocs report no errors, Centos installs without any issues! Have physically disconnected the DRAC card thinking it might be selecting the ROM as storage for writing the boot sector but so far no luck. Any other random suggestions welcome!?

Just wanted to note the following as I have finally resolved my issue. Proxmox 2.2 installs quite happily on a PE2950 generation III , just don't use numerals in your hostname or it will not install! Simple answer and glad I am finally up and running. I am sure this could be resolved in a future update?

Thanks to all those who replied with suggestions.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!