The question is probably a bit silly...
I have:
- 1 HP microserver gen8 G1610T
- 1 SSD Micron 240Gb 5200 MAX
- 2 HDDs Western Digital 2Tb Ultrastar 7K6000

and I want to install Proxmox 6.

Question: how best to do it?
1) Install Proxmox on SSD, from HDDs to make RAID storage,
2) Install Proxmox on HDDs (RAID, ZFS RAID) and SSD to use for log and cache?

Reactions: Daniel Berski
What risks do you want to take if the SSD fails?

Best bet: add a another SSD of the same type to have it mirrored.

What risks do you want to take if the SSD fails?

Best bet: add a another SSD of the same type to have it mirrored.

Thanks for the answer!
I'm afraid that due to uniform wear and tear (the number of records on the discs) they will die at the same time.
I think so: in the first variant - after all the settings to store the disk image in case of failure of SSD. This will allow me to respond quickly to the failure. In the second variant - simply to monitor the SSD more carefully.
What do you think?

Hi,

I think so: in the first variant - after all the settings to store the disk image in case of failure of SSD. This will allow me to respond quickly to the failure. In the second variant - simply to monitor the SSD more carefully.

I do exactly this starting from jul 2018, and even now, my SSDs are OK(consumer grade). But I have a ready to use SSD in a closet in case of emergency ;) I know is not the best thing ! And I swith this SSD at 3-4 month with another SSD who is in use on a server.

I'm afraid that due to uniform wear and tear (the number of records on the discs) they will die at the same time.

Then use another brand and/or another size (bigger).

In the second variant - simply to monitor the SSD more carefully.

monitoring is ok, but not sufficient. It can (and will) fail at any time.

I think so: in the first variant - after all the settings to store the disk image in case of failure of SSD. This will allow me to respond quickly to the failure

And if you forget a file, you'll just end up fixing stuff by yourself and spending hours over hours. Just buy another SSD.

Reactions: Skrimer

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!