Proxmox Configuration based on existing Hardware

tweak

Dec 27, 2019
Hi,
I'm searching and trying around for a couple of months with proxmox. But it's still not clear for me, what will be the best configuration depending on my current hardware setup.
The goal would be to host about 5-6 VMs and some containers. On of those VMs should be a fileshare for the other VMs and the hole network.
By the way, we are speaking about home-use, not enterprise garde.

But i would say the current hardware is not far away from enterprise... So i will tell you in short what i already tried.

Hardware:
HP DL20 Gen10 Xeon E2136
64 GB RAM
2x Samsung PM883 1TB
2x Seagate Exnos 2TB
Important: Softraid-Controller S100i (default)

My Idea was to create a RaidZ1 with the SSDs and one with the Drives.

But the Problem with that Setup is, that ive got really poor performance in copying files from SSD to HDD.
The whole system will freeze on the peak of the copying speed, after that the speed drops and the procedere starts again.

I tryed arround with arc sizes (min, max) but it doesnt help. Unfortunaly the system isn't usable in this state, if anybody copy any file to the nas all other vms freeze.

I'm not sure if zil/slog will fix this issue, but to test this i will need an enterprise m2 to fit into my server. (expensive try)

So i decid to order an entprise garde P408 Raid Controller with Battery-Pack. Thats the point where i stuck now, im not sure if i should gave zfs another try with the P408 or i should simply use HW-Raid.

My current state is that i will not spend more money for the "home-server".

Thanks for your feedback, hopefully we can fix the problem and maybe there some money left to subsribe :)

Thx.

if I were you I would look for performance rather than stability :

try to make 2 ssds as raidz0, also the 2 HDDs .

use the money for another HDD and backup on it.

simple plan, little cost, effective performance.

That's not really the answer what i am searching for, because the issue is not depending on the drives speed that i need raid0.
I tried the same thing without issues with esxi.
So it must be an incompatility with zfs and the s100i controller.
But before i reconfigure my setup i would know what is the best case depending on my parts.

Just for Information, NAS as Backup with Raid is planned/available.

Sorry for that if it still not clear what i am searching for.
What is the best proxmox configuration depenting on my existing hardware?
Should i start again with ZFS based on P408 HW-Raid-Controller in HBA Mode?
Or Should i go with simply HW-Raid?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!