Proxmox combinated with FreeNAS

nickmansrob

Aug 31, 2019
Hello everyone

I would like to adjust my backup strategy at home. What I'm doing now is uploading the entire disk of every laptop to a 1TB Stack disk, and as a double backup another physical copy to an external hard drive. The disadvantage is that all data of the laptops is separated, and that it takes a lot of time to get everything backed up. That's why I came up with this idea.

I use Proxmox as a hobby for virtualization of certain OSs. Now I came up with the idea to install FreeNAS as a VM, assign a 1TB HDD to it (for the physical backup) and then run a backup to Stack on a weekly basis. In this way all data is merged on 1 physical disk and backed up to the cloud at the same time. I also save the cost of a (Synology) NAS.

Does anyone have experience with this? Or does this look like the worst idea ever and should I continue as I do now? Is this plan feasible at all?

Adjustments, advice and feedback are welcome :)

Thanks in advance!

Installing FreeNAS in a VM is working fine for many people - this forum and the internet has many examples of this.

I think the question that comes to mind reading your description is more if you need FreeNAS at all? For backing up data, there are multiple more lightweight solutions available, many even running in LXC containers (e.g. Borg, rsync, etc...).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!