ProxMox Cluster with iSCSI Storage

tanec

Feb 14, 2018
Hello ProxMox

I'm preparing an environment with two nodes connected to on iSCSI (DELL MD3200) storage directly, without switch. I read all the articles that I found on forum and google, but didn't find a solution for my problem.

Here is the diagram of the test setup:

Both servers are connected to the storage on separate interfaces with different ip address.
On storage I attached both interface to one LUN and both servers can see the storage on their own IP address.
Also if I create a VirtualMachine on server one, I can see the LVM on both servres with 'lvs' command.

But, when I try to migrate VM from Server one to Server two it is not possible.

So, do you have any suggestion how to share one storage on different IP address to be accessible for both hosts and to be able to create live migration and clones from Server1 to Server2?

Thanks in advance to everybody that spent time reading my post till end!

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2018-02-14 09-31-21.png
    Screenshot from 2018-02-14 09-31-21.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 118
Hi,

Not sure but i think you can't do live migration without being in the same cluster.The shared storage has to be added the same way so the same IP address so lvm locking can be managed by the cluster.

I think you can name the storage the same way on both nodes and just copy the original vm .conf (in /etc/pve/qemu-server/) as it was two différent vm sharing the same storage.But this need to be done manualy and not live.

I dont know if this will work in proxmox, it does on vmware.

Create a record in the host file on both server, where you point a dns name to the 2 different IPs.
Then both of your hosts, should see it as the same storage

Like this:
Code:
host1:
iscsi-name    192.168.130.2

host2:
iscsi-name    192.168.131.2

Just mount the iSCSI on the command line and present only the LVM to PVE. This way you can have different IPs and the iSCSI configuration in handled on a per-node-basis. Both nodes will see the storage and you have to check the 'shared' flag. Afterwards, migration will be possible if both nodes are part of a PVE cluster.

Reactions: Rinoa
Just mount the iSCSI on the command line and present only the LVM to PVE. This way you can have different IPs and the iSCSI configuration in handled on a per-node-basis. Both nodes will see the storage and you have to check the 'shared' flag. Afterwards, migration will be possible if both nodes are part of a PVE cluster.

Thank you guys for the great and simple suggestion. I tried the quoted one and it works. Now I can migrate and clone from one host to another and can start to research how to create zfs with external storage.

Thank you and have a nice weekend!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!