Proxmox cluster with dhcp from SDN possible to have different default gateway on VM's?

sverker

Nov 14, 2022
I have a proxmox cluster with two nodes. Each has a physical ethernet interface on public internet and on the same physical interface a VLAN tagged interface (tag=4000) for internal network. Each of the hosts have one IP address on the internal network and have masquerading set up. The VM's currently receives their ip addresses from an ISC dhcpd running on one of the hosts.

I understand that with SDN in Proxmox I can get dhcp functionality from there, but there is a twist. I want that the VM gets the ip of the host they are running on as default gateway so that the traffic can go directly to internet without having to be sent over the internal network to the other host. Is this possible to achieve?

I am able to get the desired functionality by adding each host as static entries in dhcpd.conf but I would like it to be handled automatically so that e.g. if a VM is migrated to the other host it would automatically get the correct default gateway.

I think you should look at evpn zone with anycast gateway (same ip on each vnet on each host).

They are no way to change gateway ip inside the vm when your are migrating it. (because it's transparent for the guest os).

(Note that dhcp is only implemented on single zone currently, other zones support should be available soon)

Ok, I had already started looking at evpn zone but the doc is not very clear and there are no examples.

I have set up an evpn zone but it doesn't seem to do what I want. For starters, as you wrote it doesn't support dhcp so my usecase is toast already there. Second, if I configure static IP addresses on vm's on both hosts I can reach the gateway ip which is the same on each host but I can't reach the hosts directly nor can I reach VM's on the other host. It's not clear if any ports needs to be open between the Proxmox hosts for evpn to work.

I found another very simple solution though. This is the current vlan interface on the Proxmox hosts (one of them, the other has address 10.208.1.2:

Code:
auto vmbr0.4000
iface vmbr0.4000 inet static
        address 10.208.1.1/24
        post-up   echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
        post-up   iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '10.208.1.0/24' ! -d '10.208.1.0/24' -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE
        post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '10.208.1.0/24' ! -d '10.208.1.0/24' -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE
        post-up   iptables -t raw -I PREROUTING -i fwbr+ -j CT --zone 1
        post-down iptables -t raw -D PREROUTING -i fwbr+ -j CT --zone 1

I then added this on both Proxmox hosts:
Code:
# Anycast IP
auto lo:1
iface lo:1 inet static
        address 10.208.1.254/32

In dhcpd.conf I then set option routers 10.208.1.254;

So far everything works as expected, outbound traffic is routed via the Proxmox host the vm is running on, all vm's can reach each other and all hosts. Only thing I need to correct is the routing to my vpn which terminates on one of the hosts and set up failover for dhcpd

As noted above the Proxmox SDN function is not yet sufficient for my usecase so here is my solution.

I have two hosts at Hetzner in a Proxmox cluster. For internal network I have a vSwitch with VLAN tag 4000. Each host have one public IPv4 address and a /64 scope of IPv6. What I want is that all internal traffic happens on the internal lan and that the VM's uses the host they are running on as default gateway and those that should have IPv6 get the address from the range of the respective host.

First I set up a bridge on the physical interface with the public IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, then I add a tagged interface for the VLAN. I'm not sure if it was really necessary to have the public Ipv4 address on a bridge since I don't have any public IPv4 addresses for the VM's but when I initially did the setup (with one host) I couldn't get the tagged interface up without having the other bridge. Never mind, it works like this and I have the flexibility to request more IPv4 addresses from Hetzner if I would need to have any directly on a VM. I also put my IPv6 /64 scope on the internal network except for first address which is kept for the host

To route incoming IPv4 traffic to VM's I use iptables port forwarding and nginx reverse proxy.

My /etc/network/interfaces hence looks like this:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface lo inet6 loopback

auto lo:1
iface lo:1 inet static
        address y.y.y.254/32

iface enp0s31f6 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address x.x.x.x/26
        gateway x.x.x.x
        bridge-ports enp0s31f6
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 1
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 4000
        bridge_hw enp0s31f6
        bridge-hello 2
        bridge-maxage 12
        up route add -net x.x.x.x netmask 255.255.255.192 gw x.x.x.x dev enp0s31f6
        #post-up and post-down for iptables port forwarding removed

iface vmbr0 inet6 static
        address z:z:z:z::2/128
        gateway fe80::1

auto vmbr0.4000
iface vmbr0.4000 inet static
        address y.y.y.1/24
        post-up   echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
        post-up   iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 'y.y.y.0/24' ! -d 'y.y.y.0/24' -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE
        post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s 'y.y.y.y.0/24' ! -d 'y.y.y.0/24' -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE
        post-up   iptables -t raw -I PREROUTING -i fwbr+ -j CT --zone 1
        post-down iptables -t raw -D PREROUTING -i fwbr+ -j CT --zone 1

iface vmbr0.4000 inet6 static
        address z:z:z:z::3/64
        up ip -6 route add z:z:z:z::3/64 dev vmbr0.4000

Code:
root@h1 /home/sverker # ip addr show dev lo
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet y.y.y.254/32 scope global lo
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host noprefixroute

I then have ISC dhcpd in a failover configuration om both hosts (the other host has ip y.y.y.2 on the internal network) setting y.y.y.254 as default gateway for the VM's.

Works as intended, I should be able to work with dynamic dns updates to get ingress traffic to the right host. I don't do SNAT on port forwarding, hence the client does a direct return so external traffic needs to come in to the host it is running on.

To get the desired functionality for IPv6 was a bit more complicated. My VM's get their IPv6 information via router advertisement, a sidenote is that it doesn't seem to matter what is set for IP config in cloud init when the VM is running newer dist that uses NetworkManager or Netplan to manage network settings. Anyway, what I needed to do was to block router advertisement from the wrong host to reach the VM's.

Router advertisement is ICMPv6 messages and part of Neighbour Discovery Protocol. There is a checkbox on under options for the VM firewall to allow NDP and if that is selected it also enables RA. Hence the solution was to uncheck that box and instead create two security groups, one for each host. Those security groups contains the rules to enable all ICMPv6 messages of NDP but for RA only allow those with sender address of the host the VM is running on. Then I assign the VM with correct security group. A side effect is that VM's that I don't want to have IPv6 address I leave NDP unchecked on FW and don't add that security group which means they'll never get any RA to find out what public IPv6 address they would have.

Ok, it doesn't work automatically on a migration to get IPv6 address updated but I only migrate VM's manually anyway and in mean time IPv6 will work just that it is sent over the internal network via the other host.

This works like a charm on AlmaLinux and Ubuntu VM's but for some reason Debian 12 VM's still gets RA from both hosts no matter if I add the security group or not. Everything looks right even when I look with ip6tables -L, NDP packets should be dropped and everything else I've tested that should be dropped is. It doesn't matter, I just had one test VM with Debian all the others either run AlmaLinux or Ubuntu and they work as intended but it puzzles me.

One thing that I have left is that I have a Wireguard VPN between the datacenter and my office terminating on one of the hosts. For now I just push static routes via dhcp but it should be possible to have vpn to both hosts and sort routing via BGP.

End result is that I have got the intended functionality. I have an internal network through which the VM's can communicate with each other, IPv4 egress traffic goes via the host the VM is running on and IPv6 addresses gets assigned from the scope assigned to each host.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!