Proxmox Cluster Using Public IP Not Connecting "failed to get address info"

bugattiguy527

Jul 7, 2024
Hello! I have 2 proxmox nodes. One running on my laptop at home which I am unable to port forward on and so I am ssh-tunneling the web gui to access it via a ip that can be reached from anywhere (I realize this is very insecure but I dont use this cluster for litteraly anything important its entirely for testing purposes). The other proxmox node has a public ip that can be accessed from anywhere without the need for ssh-tunneling. I have set both of the public ip in /etc/hosts and both have a interface set up that uses its public ip. When I connnect these 2 together I found a few problems. If I create the cluster from the node that has a regular public ip and join via the ssh-tunneled ip then I get this error when trying to join.

Code:
detected the following error(s):
* local node address: cannot use IP '34.45.213.183', not found on local node!
* link0: cannot use IP '34.45.213.183', not found on local node!
TASK ERROR: Check if node may join a cluster failed!

If I create the cluster from the node that uses ssh-tunneling then I can join fine but on both of the servers but they both appear offline and if I click on the summary of the ofline node on both of them it shows this error

hostname lookup 'laptop1' failed - failed to get address info for: laptop1: Name or service not known (500)

any idea why? I checked on the cluster page and it shows the public ip of both of them as link 0 and I tested the links and they both work fine and they can both ping each other. I have restarted it many times and recreated the cluster about a million times and looked it up several times and cant figure out why. I know I should be using a vpn but it majorly slows down my 3gb network speed. Thanks!

I just realized that I bet it uses more ports than just 8006 for corosync, il see what ports it uses and il let anyone know here in case they are in a similar situation as me.

Edit: I just tried forwarind the following ports
ssh -N -R 8006:localhost:8006 -R 5405:localhost:5405 -R 5406:localhost:5406 -R 5407:localhost:5407 -R 5408:localhost:5408 -R 5409:localhost:5409 -R 5410:localhost:5410 -R 5411:localhost:5411 -R 5412:localhost:5412 user@ip-i key
and same issues :(

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!