PROXMOX Cluster GUI behind HA Layer 4 Loadbalancer and Reverse Proxy

stefan felder

Jul 19, 2023
Hi,

I'm new to the PROXMOX system, coming from VMware, XCP-ng and Harvester, trying to get my feet wet with some HA fun.
I've set up a PROXMOX Cluster with 3 Nodes and CEPH, working great.
Now I'm trying to access the GUI loadbalanced of all nodes via a single URL.

I have 2 NGINX webservers installed as layer-4 loadbalancers (config below) with a keepalieved vIP accessed internally by a NGINX Proxy Manager and externally by a Cloudflare Tunnel.

If I hit the vIP of the loadbalancers I can access the PROXMOX GUI and the loadbalancing does work.
If I setup the NGINX Proxy Manager to redirect to a single node IP i can access the PROXMOX GUI.
If I setup the NGINX Proxy Manager to redirect to the loadbalancers vIP, i cannot access the GUI, getting a ERR_CONNECTION_RESET.

Has anyone else encountered the same issue, trying to get the GUI working behind a proxy and loadbalancer and has a fix for me?

Thanks in advance.
Stefan

NGINX.conf
NGINX:
load_module /usr/lib/nginx/modules/ngx_stream_module.so;
worker_processes 4;
worker_rlimit_nofile 40000;

events {
        worker_connections 8192;
}

stream {
    upstream proxmox_servers_https {
        least_conn;
        server 192.168.178.151:8006 max_fails=3 fail_timeout=5s;
        server 192.168.178.152:8006 max_fails=3 fail_timeout=5s;
        server 192.168.178.153:8006 max_fails=3 fail_timeout=5s;
    }
    server {
        listen 8006;
        proxy_pass proxmox_servers_https;
    }
}

Reactions: Denham

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!