Proxmox Cluster CPU Type Host compatible CPU's

resprox

Aug 8, 2024
I run Proxmox on a single host, CPU Intel I9 9900, I will create a 2-node cluster (for quorum will setup QDevice on raspberry pi), I will use live migration and prefer to use cpu type host, is there an overview which CPU's are compatible with Intel I9 9900 to use cpu type = host?

is there an overview which CPU's are compatible with Intel I9 9900 to use cpu type = host?
Nothing we provide officially, but generally CPUs of the same generation and vendor should work. Migrating from older to newer CPUs should also work in general. The other direction will likely not work unless you use a more restrictive CPU type.

You can also create custom CPU types to improve stability while keeping a broader feature set [1]. For example, you can create a custom CPU type based on your Intel i9 9900 and still go for a newer CPU in the second node. That way no incompatible CPU features should be activated for the VM even if it is booted on the newer node. So live migration should work in both directions. This might give you the best balance between being able to use CPU features and compatibility.

[1]: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_custom_cpu_types

Reactions: resprox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!