[SOLVED] Proxmox CEPH: Newly added OSD shows DOWN and OUT

dmulk

Jan 24, 2017
Need some CEPH help here...

I have an existing Proxmox CEPH environment with the following:

5 nodes in a Proxmox environment (PVE v 4.4)
4 of the nodes have SSD based OSDs configured in a single RBD pool (32 total OSD's)
3 of those nodes are MON's

I've recently purchased 4 additional servers to increase the cluster's capacity.

Configured and added the 6th NEW node to the Proxmox cluster.
Installed and configured CEPH (the new node shows up in the CEPH OSD GUI page
Attempted to create the first OSD using the GUI....and this is where the trouble starts....

It appears that the OSD is successfully created and added to the existing cluster as the Total: under the CEPH page increases to 33....however the newly created OSD shows as DOWN and OUT. I noticed that the cluster then attempts to rebalance...

Another thing that seems to happen is if I run the following command from one of the nodes:

ceph tell osd.* version

....all 32 OSD's reply with their versions (all are reporting v 10.2.10) as expected but the NEW 33rd OSD reports the following error:

Error ENXIO: problem getting command descriptions from osd.32
osd.32: problem getting command descriptions from osd.32

Can someone explain what's happening here? I've googled all over the place and everything seems to indicate that a newly added OSD should show UP and IN...is this not the case? Will the new OSD show UP and IN AFTER the initial rebalance finishes?

Thanks!

<D>

Anyone got any suggestions? I have 100k of servers sitting here that I can't leverage right now...any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks!

Well...looks like a version mis-match.....for some reason the newly installed node has a debian-hammer jessie main listed in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ceph.list not sure why...

My existing nodes are on Jewel....

.../sigh.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!